1988 C1500 can’t find big enough ball joint HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73L48

Reaction score
It looks like there are two different parts.... Moog also has a K6293 that's listed on Rockauto for an 88 C1500. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing diameters.
The guy at O’Reilly ordered the 6239 and it was larger than the “correct” part number, but still no resistance when I pushed it up thru the hole.

And correct, I have not seen that measurement on parts websites on on a store’s system either.

73L48

Reaction score
The K-series trucks have three designs for the lower control arms. Each control arm design takes a different ball joint. There's a bolt-on ball joint, and two sizes of press-fit ball joints.

But I have no idea how the 2WD control arms are built; or how many versions there are.
I believe only 1 or 2 sizes (or part numbers) for press for for 88 C1500, but I could be wrong

73L48

Reaction score
3rd set of lbj's. You say the new one is too small, but you didn't say in fell in the hole either. The new one is 59mm. What's the old one measure at? Me thinks the LCA lost it's press fit.
It was the lbj that I removed that measured 59mm, the new ones were 58.2 - 58.8-ish. Amazing to me that 1/2mm makes that big a difference.

I suppose possible for the hole to have gotten larger, but I would be surprised since I had to beat the old one out

73L48

Reaction score
By research, I meant scrolling through various ball joint specs on rockauto. Ya know, like a scientist :rotflmao:

I had matching new ball joints, one pressed in like it’s supposed too and the other was significantly smaller than the other.

Edit: I’m realizing now that it wouldn’t be possible. The k1500 had torsion bars right? Either way, when I measured the bigger one, it matched the size of a k1500
A huge thank you to all of you that took the time to offer your thoughts and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated.

I’m planning on more research and ultimately, I may weld the 6239 in since it’s soo close, or possibly replace the lca with new one with lbj installed

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For safety reasons I am NOT recommending this:

What I’ve had to do in the case of loose fitting bearing races is, use a sharp punch in multiple spots around the inside of the hub to “upset” the material to make the new bearing race a tighter fit when pressed in.

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was the lbj that I removed that measured 59mm, the new ones were 58.2 - 58.8-ish. Amazing to me that 1/2mm makes that big a difference.

I suppose possible for the hole to have gotten larger, but I would be surprised since I had to beat the old one out
You may have answered your own question about all this with the “had to beat the old one out” If you’re not using a ball joint press to install and remove them all sorts of less than optimal outcome are possible, like distorted control arms from using the Arkansas swing press (big hammer). Go getcha a new LCA with bj in it.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may have answered your own question about all this with the “had to beat the old one out” If you’re not using a ball joint press to install and remove them all sorts of less than optimal outcome are possible, like distorted control arms from using the Arkansas swing press (big hammer). Go getcha a new LCA with bj in it.

Everything about this post is just dirty, LOL!

A new LCA with a ball joint, however, would be the way to go.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to replace my LBJ on the passenger’s side, pressed the old out...

I beat the bad ball joint out

I had to beat the old one out
No fair changing the story from "pressed" to "beat".

Thank you.