1988 5.7 hardly drives after CL122494 comp cams install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryKing

Reaction score
So, did you set the timing and fix your issue yet?
GOTTA be timing.. Had a guy replace my old Yukon distributor and he did the "set TDC" without disconnecting the advance wire. Around the block drive and it DOGGED. Muffler/Cat were HOT! Went back, discussed the right way to time it, he fixed it and I drove off with a powerful truck.

Woulda done the dist myself but it was 2+ feet of snow in Vermont January..

Captainfab

Reaction score
I set my timing dots wrong at first, and cranked it for less then 5 seconds before I resolved the issue and set both dots on the timing gears to the 12 o clock position.

This statement is concerning. I have always set my timing gears dot to dot, never both at 12 O'clock.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

GOTTA be timing.. Had a guy replace my old Yukon distributor and he did the "set TDC" without disconnecting the advance wire. Around the block drive and it DOGGED. Muffler/Cat were HOT! Went back, discussed the right way to time it, he fixed it and I drove off with a powerful truck.

Woulda done the dist myself but it was 2+ feet of snow in Vermont January..
That makes me feel better, should be an easy fix then

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Not trying to derail the topic...No one else has had hot headers on engine break-in? I set my distributor 4° advanced for my new cam and my exhaust was furiously hot.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. New headers will not respond well to engine break-in. Always use old headers or manifolds before breaking in a new motor if you want to prevent destroying the new header finish.
Not sure if this applies to a simple cam swap in an already tuned and assembled chassis. I've never done a cam swap in the chassis, I typically remove the engine and run it in on a stand.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Yes. New headers will not respond well to engine break-in. Always use old headers or manifolds before breaking in a new motor if you want to prevent destroying the new header finish.
Not sure if this applies to a simple cam swap in an already tuned and assembled chassis. I've never done a cam swap in the chassis, I typically remove the engine and run it in on a stand.
I've done several in-chassis break-ins for flat tappet cams. Even with clutch fans and an auxiliary pedestal fan blowing in the engine bay, the exhausts on my builds have always gotten mighty hot - last one with headers got red hot with EFI. The carbureted builds I had done with less advance (under 36° total) didn't get as hot on the exhaust.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've done several in-chassis break-ins for flat tappet cams. Even with clutch fans and an auxiliary pedestal fan blowing in the engine bay, the exhausts on my builds have always gotten mighty hot - last one with headers got red hot with EFI. The carbureted builds I had done with less advance (under 36° total) didn't get as hot on the exhaust.
Ya they were cherry red