1988 5.7 hardly drives after CL122494 comp cams install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a "reset" button on it. You press it to loosen the adjustment. Then you can either press the gas pedal to the floor, or twist the throttle linkage to full throttle. It will make a "ratchet" sound
Almost, see the attachment on post #14

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Glowing headers, timing not set. . . please set timing before consuming any more brain cells. Retarded timing drives up EGT, your mixture was still burning in the exhaust after it left the chamber.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK that probably eliminates issues with the torque converter and trans. Check your timing with the EST (black/tan) wire disconnected and set it a 0° with a timing light. The EST wire is inside the big loomnear the trans dip stick tube, you may have to dig it out.

You must be registered for see images attach
Ok sounds good, I will do that when I can get my hands on a timing light, I pushed the black slider all the way into the bracket then went in the cab and pressed the gas all the way down, I heard a click, and when I pushed my throttle all the way wide open the cable felt tight and taught, did I do that right?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pushed the black slider all the way into the bracket then went in the cab and pressed the gas all the way down, I heard a click, and when I pushed my throttle all the way wide open the cable felt tight and taught, did I do that right?
Yep, that sounds about right.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, that sounds about right.
Just found the metal adjustment button, is it supposed to press down and lock? Or just slightly depress, im not hearing any ratcheting sound, should I depress the button while I push the black slider back? Im a bit confused on how this is supposed to work

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone, before I reset my TV cable it was relatively taught but not as tight as it was after I adjusted it. So im not sure if this small difference would cause my shifting and rpm issue. I also checked my trans dip stick and it reads full, nice and red too.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More updates, I pulled my valve covers and checked my rocker arms, all of them go all the way up and back down, so I didn't wipe my camshaft. We can eliminate that