1988 5.7 hardly drives after CL122494 comp cams install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it still rev fine in park?

You state this is your daily driver, so I assume that before the cam swap it drove well?

Jack it up and make sure the rear wheels turn by hand. If it's a brake issue, you don't want to be tearing down the engine to try and find it. I had a leaky rear wheel cylinder, and after I replaced it I didn't get all the gunk out of the drum assembly. My right rear wheel nearly locked up the truck a hundred yards from my house.

Definitely fix any issues with your TBI.
Revs fine in park, I never has any issues with my brakes before and they look pretty clean to me, it drove perfect

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you by any chance, changed or did not do a trans TV cable check that will affect trans operation.
The whole condition sounds like you have multiple overlapping issues. Are you checking your work and following provided install instructions. Use GM service manual for standard procedures. Twice in forty plus years I saw headers, exhaust manifold cherry red on start/ idle the ignition/ firing order screwed up. That was scary, holy *****. That was then, neighbor's kid. Just one problem it could be. Good luck.
Nope I didnt check the trans cable, there are three cables that connect to my throttle linkage on my tbi, I just reinstalled them the way they came off so I definitely screwed that up, which one is the trans cable and how do I go about resetting it?

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not an engine builder, but I'd verify and then check timing. I wouldn't be surprised if it's pretty retarded. Also, I don't know what the cam's specs are (nor am I that knowledgeable about them either) but changing the cam & then expecting the stock EFI to work properly & deliver the right amount of fuel is like eating raw chicken and hoping you don't get sick.
Ya I did alot of research on forums like this before I bought my cam, apparently the cam I bought is one of the few cams that will work with my TBI unit, im sure the timings a bit screwed up I never put a light on it

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you pull the engine to do this or, did you do it in the truck?

I didnt check the trans cable, there are three cables that connect to my throttle linkage on my tbi, I just reinstalled them the way they came off so I definitely screwed that up, which one is the trans cable and how do I go about resetting it?

Attachments

• 700r4 cable adjustment instructions(13).pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 12

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with everything said so far. This is one of those issues where you wished the guy lived close so you could physically lend a hand. I'm sure by end of day though this thread will be pages long with some very good ideas on what to check.

Timing comes to mind first to me. The red hot header would be a flag. I've only rebuilt two Chevy motors but I didn't get red hot headers breaking them in. Did you unplug the brown striped wire and set base timing?

I'm really at a loss about the drivability part though. If it drove just fine before the cam swap I'd be looking for something left unplugged or not connected. Wish I could offer you some better ideas but you need to start with basics and just eliminate things one at a time. I'll be watching this thread. Please post up once you get it fixed so we know what it was. Good luck.
I appreciate it, I will be updating this thread with all my findings. Im going to pull my valve covers tonight and make sure my rockers arms are moving properly. I keep hearing about some trans cable but im not sure how to fix that issue, I have three cables coming off my tbi unit, I never unplugged any wire just set my timing by eye

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are obviously a lot of things that could of went wrong, some even unrelated to the cam swap, for example the trans maybe overheated. Did you check the fluid level, hook up the trans lines or damaged them?

Did you forget to hook up the TV cable? Or change brackets, replace the cable mess with it or anything like that?
They connected just fine, I have no fluid leaks either. Ill have to check my trans fluid again, Im 90 percent sure I screwed up the TV cable, I didnt know I had to adjust it, and im unaware of which of the three cables it is

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about some trans cable but im not sure how to fix that issue, I have three cables coming off my tbi unit,
Your TV cable is on the bottom (red arrow), the cruise control is on the top (blue), and your go fast one is in the middle (green).

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I did it in my truck
OK that probably eliminates issues with the torque converter and trans. Check your timing with the EST (black/tan) wire disconnected and set it a 0° with a timing light. The EST wire is inside the big loomnear the trans dip stick tube, you may have to dig it out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I recall from a few years ago. There is a "reset" button on it. You press it to loosen the adjustment. Then you can either press the gas pedal to the floor, or twist the throttle linkage to full throttle. It will make a "ratchet" sound. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. There may be a sticky in the transmission section about it as well.