1988 5.7 5-speed RCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry so long without any updates....

Ive had a few people contact me about my wheels and tires asking for sizes. I am sorry I thought I posted the info in this thread already but I guess I did not.

I have 245/35/20's front and 275/30/20's rear. I honestly think my front tires look too low of a profile but theyre on and not going to be replaced until theyre worn out.

My wheels are 20x10 with 5.5" backspace rear and 20x8.5 with 4.75" backspace front that I bought from Wheelsforless.com

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been driving and working on the truck still. Some recent work I have done is diagnosing an irritating intermittent problem where the truck would instantly lose serious power, briefly, and return to normal almost as fast. It rarely happened at idle, but if it did the truck would stall. I finally traced it back to the wires to the injectors, at or near the ECM. When it was having an issue- a light tap or wiggle of the ECM would cure the problem. Hmmmm. So I took the ECM off its "shelf" and turned it sideways without the glovebox in place so I could have easy access to it. Two months go by with no problems..... So I put it back, and still no problems.... When its running I can wiggle or shake the ECM and harness and could not get the problem to reproduce.... Strange!

I installed new ACC Carpet, in a dark blue color. I have been re-dying the interior with SEM interior vinyl paint that comes in a spray can. It is holding up EXCELLENT!

I added speakers to the doors (2-6'5" MB Quarts in each door), well, one door (I havent finished the drivers door yet), added power locks with keyless entry, and re-dyed both door panels. I have additional carpet for the door panels and kick panels.

I'll try to get some pics of this stuff up soon.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do the keyless entry, where did you get yours? Did your truck already have power door locks?

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a Soundstream brand alarm, remote start, and keyless entry for like $40. I used some ~$5 door lock actuators, also from ebay. and wired it all up. I did go to the junkyard and got some wiring "boots" from the cab to the doors from a similar year C1500, and had to dril a pretty good sized hole in my cab to accept them. My doors already had the holes. I did have to take the doors off to drill the cab, but I changed the hinge pins while I was at it so I hope to never take them off again.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have recently been asked what shocks I used and realized I never wrote the part numbers. All are Rancho RS9000 series 9-way adjustable. They have large bodies, a large shaft, and a dial for adjustments.
For the fronts I used RS999337. They are pretty short, so you must have short springs installed or they wont reach. Theyre shorter than even the 2" dropped KYB's I removed. To install them you must cut the hole in the lower a-arm a little bigger to get the shock in place. You'll also need to remove the crossbar from your old shocks and put it into the lower mount of the new shock.

For the rears I used RS99129 which is now a RS999129. This is a Jeep Cherokee rear fitment, but shorter than a factory c1500 shock by about 3". This shock bolted right in.

I have pics of old vs new, hopefully I'll get them uploaded here soon.