1988 5.7 5-speed RCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my 1988 C1500. I bought it from a friends neighbor for $850. The neighbor said it was running but he could no longer get it to start.

As I found it;
You must be registered for see images attach
2018-11-07_01-09-56 by sbnova, on Flickr

2018-11-07_01-09-14 by sbnova, on Flickr

2018-11-07_01-08-01 by sbnova, on Flickr

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing I did was get it running. It was originally a 5.0 truck but was upgraded to a 5.7 TBI- with everything hooked up- everything- even the smog stuff. Very original and intact. It has some surface rust but zero rot. It has some minor body damage but really not much. The windshield is broken.

It needed a coil pickup in the distrbutor- cost about $15.

After I got it running and ditched the topper-
2018-11-07_01-10-21 by sbnova, on Flickr

Last edited:

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then it was time to order parts. I ordered new Ridler wheels in 20x8.5 and 20x10, dropped spindles, leaf spring mounting pads for an axle flip, steel to c-notch the frame, rear axle shock mounts, Rancho 9000 adjustable rear shocks, weatherstrip- door sweeps exterior, exterior door handles for both sides, a new fuel pump- since I was right there anyway. 3" cat back exhaust with a knock-off Flowmaster mandrel bent from Ebay, and a 3" section of pipe to meet up to the factory now modified y-pipe. and probably some more parts that I may have forgotten about.

KIMG1307 by sbnova, on Flickr

I disassembled and painted the leaf springs, using the Monstaliner chassis paint.

KIMG1305 by sbnova, on Flickr

Last edited:

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shortly after getting it running I had a fuel leak back by the tank. It was a pinhole in the flexible rubber line. I had a hose shop replace the rubber section as it was much cheaper than buying a new hose. I then had the clutch hydraulic line go bad and start leaking- replaced that with a parts store hose. Crazy hard to bleed that thing! Ridiculous routing of that factory line does not help with bleeding either.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much as is sits today, waiting for the tires to come tomorrow per Fedex.
2018-11-07_10-27-16 by sbnova, on Flickr

This is sitting at ride height- Chassis Tech (?) dropped spindles, one coil cut from the factory coil springs, rear axle flipped, c-notch made by me, dropped rear leaf spring shackles at the highest of the two settings.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if I am going to paint the truck or clean up the patina with either a polish or clear coat. I like the patina look, but I could also like the factory lighter blue color too.

I used to do all my own GM EFI tuning to my old Typhoon and Corvette, so I purchased a Moates Ostrich to tune this one using TunerproRT. I have no idea what engine mods I might do as I havent really driven the truck yet.

The interior needs work, probably new carpet, absolutely needs a seat upgrade, and Ive got a newer cluster and DRAC to install already.

I was told it needs a new AC compressor- so that will be high on the list since I live in Florida.

I plan to drive this truck to the Lone Star Throwdown in February 2019, so we'll see how it goes!

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some exhaust pics- its not finished in these pics but every joint was fully welded.
2018-11-07_02-39-54 by sbnova, on Flickr
2018-11-07_02-40-09 by sbnova, on Flickr

you can see where I painted the frame and driveshaft when I had the bed off. I used a POR-15 type product from Monstaliner. I had GREAT results from Monstaliner on my Jeep, so I tried their paint over rust coating in semi gloss black. I plan to coat the inside of the bed with Monstaliner when I get to that point.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
making more progress...

I installed a double din android stereo- which requires cutting the dash.... I didnt like cutting the dash but Ive had the same stereo in another car and I know its worth it. Ive got a 5ch amp, 4- 6.5" speakers going in the doors, and 4- 8" subs still to come.

Put in a new drivers side door handle, still have to do the passenger side. I also got a keyless entry remote start alarm, and door lock actuators since my truck never had power locks.

And last but not least Ive been buffing some of the heavily worn paint to give it a shine.

Pics to come shortly