1985 F150 XLT Lariat RCLB 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the Fox Mustang headers were the same way. Forgot all about Explorer parts. Those were weird too, 1 year only internal EGR and GT40 non-P heads.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll put it this way, I’ll do the minimalist things I can to see if this engine will work, if it doesn’t work then it’ll be yanked and I’ll find another good one to drop in.

The smoking could be attributed to many things as well, there’s 6” of stupid spacers on top of this intake cause it has the damn EGR crap in the intake. Could’ve been sucking crap up from there. It’s obvious the intake didn’t seal, I’ve got 2 other sets of gaskets so I’ll pull it, clean it all again and retry the shebang. I got the right primary gaskets for the 1406 and converted it to a 1405 externally. If after this it doesn’t work right or smokes like crazy then I’ll yank the engine and go from there.

As for the headers, I’ll work on getting a better set and possibly long tubes, once I determine if I need to get another engine or not.

I have no doubt the ******* PO lied about the truck and didn’t come clean about everything. He didn’t even have the engine, it was at some other person’s house, separate from the truck. This truck was at a friend of his house 2 blocks from me. I don’t think he even bought the engine or transmission he was trying to sell me cause he kept telling me he’d have to get their address and all this other crap so I declined that part of the deal cause it was sketchy.

I didn’t really do wrong on it for $1,000. It has many good/new parts, someone even swapped the rag joint out for a u-jointed shaft among other things listed in all the receipts I found.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright regasketed and no leaks, ran it for a bit, got it hot, no misses or anything. This ****** Edelbrock, and I mean ******, isn't responding to air/fuel adjustments at all, whether you screw it in or all the way out, idle never changes and how it runs never changes. I'll swap to a different carb. Smoke dissipated some, still does it a little. Doesn't smell like headgasket and the coolant level never really changed other than the normal burping of the thermostat. I'm partly attributing the smoke to the carb and from the truck sitting for awhile, the previous tag had expired in December and it hadn't ran since at least before then. Who knows, we'll see.

Gonna go over all the vacuum ports first to make sure there isn't a vacuum leak overriding the air/fuel adjustments.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How much vacuum is it pulling? If not enough, those needles might be getting pulled out of the main jets.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I decided to say **** it. Went and traded it in on a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium that's loaded out. I've been waiting since 4/11 for the dealership to come get this damned truck and it's still sitting here at my house lol.

It was fun while it lasted, but I decided I'd start building credit and needed a newer ride that wasn't gonna nickle and dime me, and with a promotion looming, I said **** it lol.