1967 Dodge D100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an FYI, a friend of mine runs an alcohol dragster with a big block chevy and a blower. This thing has 2,500HP. He runs a super shortened mopar 8.75 rear in it. He uses the mopar 489 cases with a spool. These are like a ford 9" just not as popular. These do not break. Plus in a pickup with a light ass end a more common 741 or 742 case 8.75 will work just fine. All three center chunk cases use the same limited slip. The differences in all 3 besides the housing are the R&P , yoke and bearings.

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, a friend of mine runs an alcohol dragster with a big block chevy and a blower. This thing has 2,500HP. He runs a super shortened mopar 8.75 rear in it. He uses the mopar 489 cases with a spool. These are like a ford 9" just not as popular. These do not break. Plus in a pickup with a light ass end a 741 or 742 case 8.75 will work just fine. All three center chunk cases use the same limited slip. The differences in all 3 besides the housing are the R&P , yoke and bearings.

Yeah, the more I learn about them the more I am liking them. Uncle Tony has some good videos on them. The pinion location robs less power than the Ford 9" according to him.

It kinda left me wondering they put the Dana 60 in the big block cars because apparently you can put gobs of power through the 8.75.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All Hemi cars auto or stick got the Dana 60 as part of that package. 440 six pack cars with 4 speed got the Dana 60 as part of the package, ditto for 440 4 barrel 4 speed cars. All other big block cars with automatic or 4 speed it was an extra cost add on option called the super trak pak. Reason for the overkill using a Dana 60 was for warranty reasons. Overbuild it so the animals driving it cant break it. They knew the people buying these cars were going to beat the ever loving snot out of them on a regular basis. As a matter of fact all factory 4 speed big block cars, and all Hemi cars that were hardtops used convertible reinforcing in the sub structure to stiffen them up. They were all just unibody cars afterall.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All of the carmakers made cool stuff in the 60s and early 70s before the fun suckers at the EPA and the insurance companies put a stop to it. What is surprising though is the fact that people are still finding these rare cars with the hot setups still in them buried away in garages and barns. I think now that a lot more people had the foresight to squirrel them away back then.

2023 is the swan song for dodges Hemi. I think when the modern Hemi cars are finally done at the end of 2023, and the Camaros and Mustangs are done, people are going to seek out the best condition examples of these to hide away as investments too. Of course this becomes a waiting game like waiting for a fine wine to age properly.

An electric powered dodge charger for 2024 is likely going to bomb on the showroom floor IMHO. They better not trash the tooling for the ones they are stopping production on, they are probably going to need it. Lol.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That depends on what it runs in the 1/4 mile, and how well it runs as a daily driver. The quality bar's not high for Stellantis products.
I agree. The electrical systems on modern mopars are not really the best. I would not be surprised if Stellantis kills off Chrysler and Dodge if this decision doesnt go well, and just keep Ram trucks and Jeep which are the money makers. Speaking of Stellantis, it sounds like a name for hard on pills.

Stop taking Stellantis and see your doctor right away if you develop a rock hard $tiffy lasting more than 3 hours. LoL

I think I will happily play with my older stuff. It's much easier to work on.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I agree. The electrical systems on modern mopars are not really the best. I would not be surprised if Stellantis kills off Chrysler and Dodge if this decision doesnt go well, and just keep Ram trucks and Jeep which are the money makers. Speaking of Stellantis, it sounds like a name for hard on pills.

Stop taking Stellantis and see your doctor right away if you develop a rock hard $tiffy lasting more than 3 hours

I think I will happily play with my older stuff. It's much easier to work on.
Yup older Mopar vehicles, as long as you have a hot battery and a spare ballast resistor you're good.....

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup older Mopar vehicles, as long as you have a hot battery and a spare ballast resistor you're good.....
Mine is a fake ballast. It's hollowed out and got a hot wire as a jumper in it so it appears as a ballast. I am using a mopar electronic distributer with a hidden GM HEI 4 pin module. I call it a PoBoy MSD. Firing it with a pertronix 50K volt flame thrower oil filled coil.

Attachments

• HEI.jpg
    HEI.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: