1967 Dodge D100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you know, but make sure the pedal mounting and firewall are satisfactorily braced. Racing several years ago one of the teams we were competing with had to retire because they ripped their firewall pressing the brake pedal.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you know, but make sure the pedal mounting and firewall are satisfactorily braced. Racing several years ago one of the teams we were competing with had to retire because they ripped their firewall pressing the brake pedal.

Definitely don't want that to happen.

The only mod I did to the pedal bracket was drill one hole. The bracket I made attaches to that hole and another that was already there from the factory. I don't think anything has been compromised, and the clutch takes a lot less force than the brake. It's sturdier than it looks though. :) There's a vertical brace (angle iron) that goes up but is hard to see because I painted it black.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not like they suddenly had no brakes. They felt the pedal getting spongy and brought it into the pits to check for leaks and bleed the brakes. As they were bleeding the brakes one of the team members spotted the firewall flexing and the crack opening and closing.

Thinking back on it, I don't think they actually retired from the race. I'm pretty sure they found a welder and zapped a bunch of metal over the split and then ran a brace to the inner fender.

That was at Eagle's Canyon in Decatur, TX. The old track layout was seriously hard on brakes.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well, it's not like they suddenly had no brakes. They felt the pedal getting spongy and brought it into the pits to check for leaks and bleed the brakes. As they were bleeding the brakes one of the team members spotted the firewall flexing and the crack opening and closing.

Thinking back on it, I don't think they actually retired from the race. I'm pretty sure they found a welder and zapped a bunch of metal over the split and then ran a brace to the inner fender.

That was at Eagle's Canyon in Decatur, TX. The old track layout was seriously hard on brakes.
I didn't know there is a track at Decatur! We used to go up there for the swap meet in February at the county fairgrounds. Haven't gone in 20 years or so though....

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't plan on tracking this truck. It's more of a conversation piece, LOL. Firewall is solid, pedal bracket is solid.

The brakes are actually really good and firm. The stupid pedal just won't reliably come up all the way all the time and then I would forget, and the battery goes dead. Obviously, they are manual brakes, so you have to use a lot of force to get everything out of them.

Eagles Canyon is on my list for track days this fall. I hear the new track is great.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there is a track at Decatur!
It's actually about fifteen miles northeast of the Decatur, out in the boonies.

Eagles Canyon is on my list for track days this fall. I hear the new track is great.
Some of my team members have driven on the new layout, but I haven't. They're still playing like they're too high-falutin' to allow the 24 Hours of Lemons in. The guys who've driven on it really like it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It's actually about fifteen miles northeast of the Decatur, out in the boonies.

Some of my team members have driven on the new layout, but I haven't. They're still playing like they're too high-falutin' to allow the 24 Hours of Lemons in. The guys who've driven on it really like it.
So probably off 380 towards Denton then? That's why I hadn't seen it, cause we came up 287 from Fort Worth, cutting over from 45 at Ennis.
Last time we were up there was February 2001....I had inside spaces at the swap meet, that were paid for a year in advance, so Dad and I went up in a very loaded E350 rental van. Would go like crazy, but stopping, not so much. The meet was the weekend after Daytona that year, so I gathered up all my NASCAR stuff. Didn't gouge anybody, but I sold a lot of the Earnhardt stuff that I brought.