1956 case 311 tractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not filled it back up BUT I'm sure there is a filter somewhere and I better look into it cuz it will be nasty as well. Dammit!
A lot of tractors have a filter or screen on the return or suction side of the system, pressure side filters are too expensive especially when you're running ~3000 PSI. If you look on the side or bottom of the reservoir or tank, you may see a large plug, maybe 2 - 3" in diameter which may be where the screen is located. YMMV - HTH ;)

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Your right Peter! Its completely serviceable. perfect!

You must be registered for see images attach

So after reviewing the service manual I just now realized that the milkshake oil I dumped was infact the transmission/rear differential.

I had the dipsticks messed up!

So the hydraulic fluid is nice and clean. it calls originally for 10w30 or transmission fluid. it's nice and clean and so I guess I'll top up the hydraulic fluid with hydraulic fluid.

I'll fill up the transmission/rear diff with the 5 gallons of the Hy/Trans fluid and flush it out over the winter before I fill it up with the proper 80W90.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
That's common to have old hydraulic units call for engine oil for use since back then there were very few options for dedicated hydraulics, a lot of them used the trans and/or rear end for the hydraulic reservoir. Even now though, the AW hydraulic fluids for tractors are more of a recommendation for a range of temps rather than a single use fluid like engine oils are now. If you want more flow at colder temp switch it out to a lower AW fluid like AW32 or 46. For an extreme hot weather example, if you are out in 110F temps running a skid steer with a hydraulic powered brush cutter you will need AW100. I run AW 32 in my old Dear John since its a 1939 tractor and it only goes up/down/tilt and I dont care about slow pressure loss during summer use.

And I laughed when I saw your new grill! It reminded me of:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want more flow at colder temp switch it out to a lower AW fluid like AW32 or 46. For an extreme hot weather example, if you are out in 110F temps running a skid steer with a hydraulic powered brush cutter you will need AW100.
^^^This. FYI the AW stands for Anti Wear, they add zinc to the fluid to reduce wear.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys! also thanks for the laughs Rich! And of course thanks for the great advice. I have about 8 gallons of the AW32 stuff. that's what I was considering topping up the hydraulic fluid with, which looks like good clean motor oil. run it until spring or whatever and then change it out.

Is that a really dumb idea because the 2 different fluids would both be so vastly different? to be honest I dont have anything I can connect to the 3pt hitch and dont anticipate that changing. it would be nice to have a snow plow and I may be able to borrow one but buying one is out of the cards.

However I have more than enough AW32 hydraulic to drain and refill it like 3 times and that would be the right thing to do, I know. LOL. I should do that.

HAHA I was looking at that scrap facia laying in a dumb spot when I was like..... GRILL! the tractor had a grill like 8 minutes later. as you can tell I F'D it up a little being careless and in a hurry.

:cheers:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Oh I almost forgot to update this thread with all the excitement that's going on in Canada right now!

Changes are happening! WOOOOHOOOOO!

I FINALLY got the rest of the fluids changed yesterday while it was not snowing or raining and it was well above freezing.

Then it started right up like it has not sat for a couple months.

The 3pt eagle hitch raised all the way up and lowered with some weight, flawlessly. Perfect!

I let it run for about a half an hour, it misfired a bit which is probably not a huge concern but it never stalled. there is still not a muffler on it and I still have not rebuilt the carb.

I did not put it in gear as I have a huge concern with the radiator and maybe it's just the top radiator hose. it seems that, the short 4-6" hose is way to big and the hose clamps are not clamping it down. its pissing coolant out from somewhere up there but I couldnt actually pinpoint it. Well I am just going to replace it anyways. I wonder if there is a thermostat up there and I wonder if it is not opening. I'll figure that out later.

the rad is original and I will replace it as well.

OHHHHHH the valve cover, with all that RTV all slobered up all over it...... didnt leak a drop!

CHEERS!

Last edited: