1956 case 311 tractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
HAHAHA I seriously think I'm guna camo it. I havent camoed anything in a very long time. painting is probably not guna happen for sometime. maybe next summer.

the fenders are JD Green though and have a couple small rust issues that need to be addressed and sealed I would like to take care of at least that much.

it definitely deserves new paint though!

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This was a pleasant surprise to run across on a truck forum.

I saw a fellow use plain silicone to make a tractor valve cover gasket 20+ years ago and it's still holding today. You shouldn't have any problems with that.

Another vote for pumping the coolant out. Not all radiators are of a design this will work, but if yours is, it's a slick solution. You just need something like this:

You could also just use a hose and do it the old fashioned way, too, but I'd avoid that if possible.

I did a little digging and found these guys https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/fawcett-tractor-parts who are on the right side of the border. They might be a good source for any parts you need. Looks like they have a listing for the head gasket: https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/head-gasket-set-new-case-a189552-106074.html

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't recommend the blue for ultimate oil sealing.

Use this stuff and forego the valve cover gasket altogether.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with you. I had a tube of the black stuff but I guess it was probably used up when I did the transmission/xfercase BUT that was so long ago whatever was leftover would be garbage by now.....

these tubes of blue is just what I had on hand. leftovers from when I almost rebuilt a 2.7L POS sebring motor just so I could put a new timming chain driven water pump in the damn thing.... I had the complete kit and then no time to do it. I then could not even hire out the damn job. it's one of the worst engines ever built for repair work. apparently it was one of the first entirely computer engineered engines that a computer designed by Mitsubishi and no one wants to touch it. not even the damn chrysler dealer wanted to touch it and they were definitely not going to use my parts if they did.

the one time I ask for a mechanics help on a slightly big job and they all go.... "what engine? 2.7? F NO! good luck!

the weather has been shìtty and I have done nothing to the tractor. yesterday it rained and rained all damn day. today it's just cold and windy as hell. I think I'm just going to go hunting!

I definitely used the blue gasket maker and I just barely got the valve cover back on before it started to rain 2 days ago.

I'm not doing anything on the tractor today, probably not for a little while. I need those fluids and so, nothing is gonna happen until I have them.

as far as I can tell, besides the small stuff like actually installing the lighting, everything is done and I just need those fluids to move on to the next step of seeing just how leaky this engine actually is....

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
thanks for those links Carlaisle! I have actually been on the tractorpartsasap website before but I did not realise they had a warehouse in Canada. I actually know where that dealer is as I have driven passed it a hundred times but I'm not driving that way anymore! I really thought they were out of Iowa but I guess that's just their main office.

thanks for doing that research!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these tubes of blue is just what I had on hand.
"Already paid for" trumps my suggestion. If it's together and sealed, win. Also, now that you've hammered the valve cover straight, the cereal box gasket might work, but if the puckey holds, I wouldn't bother trying.

We use the black Permatex at the track if we start leaking oil. Knock apart the parts that are leaking, glob that black RTV in place, and bolt it back together. If it doesn't stop the leak outright, it at least slows it down so you don't get black-flagged.