1500 Springs on a 3500 with bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Am I crazy to think that I could put half ton springs on my one ton and then add bags so that unloaded it doesn't ride like a buckboard wagon?
To me that would make sense and probably would work fine. As long as the leafs are the same width. Maybe someone else will chime in that knows a little more.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As long as they come from another GMT400 pickup they will fit. They are the same width and length. What they won't work from is a GMT4xx SUV - Blazer/Tahoe/Yukon are the shortest in length, Suburban is next shortest, pickups are longest.

It seems like a decent plan if your main goal is a comfortable ride daily, with occasional towing needs supported by the bags, just obviously if you have a bag issue (blown bag, busted line or fitting, compressor issue, etc.) you'll be in a bad spot.

You might also look into 2500 "LD" (6 lug 2500) springs - they're one more leaf than 1500 springs, still ride plenty soft compared to 3500's. Just a little extra safety margin for load capacity without going crazy.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Because you're using 1500 springs...

With airbags though. OP even with bags aired up it won't be as stiff as the stock leaf pack, but you will get your static ride height back. You don't need to buy anything, just remove leaves from your existing pack.