14 bolt SF vs FF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Most seals on my 91 6.2 k2500, 92 G20 van and 93 c3500 6.5 TD were rtv. If I bought gaskets they seemed to fail rtv didn't. And thst is how they did it before rubber reusable seals (God I love those)

I can't stand RTV. It always looks like someone applied the whole tube with a putty knife. If you don't use the whole tube, it's dried up by the time you want to use it again. I had to use some on my Saturn, and thankfully I found a little packet of it... still looks crappy on the engine though. Paper gaskets are older tech, and work pretty well, usually.

I have a plastic and rubber reusable gasket on my 4L80E's oil pan, and what I think is molded silicone on my valve covers. Those are nice, although the valve covers leak now, but they're original and the truck is approaching 300K miles.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that GM has a bulletin on RTV silicone vs. synthetic gear lube on full-float axle assemblies.

According to them, if you want to use synthetic lube, you have to pull the axle shafts out, clean off the silicone, and use a paper gasket. I suppose the same would apply to the rear cover. After a certain date, they put paper gaskets on the axle at the manufacturer.

Not something I would have thought of.