14 bolt rear question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't dug into a GMT400 diff yet, but just as a reminder, back in the day guys used to count cover bolts on the rear diff and many felt ripped off when they got a 10-bolt diff with a 12-bolt cover.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got 14 bolt semi-floater questions? Here's your bible: https://www.performancetrucks.net/f.../official-14-bolt-9-5-sf-truck-thread-467473/

As far as posi / limited slip vs. locker, and the fact that we frequently refer to the "G80" unit in here simply by its RPO code which can be misleading.. as already clarified by others, posi / limited slip and locker are very different things. In GMT400 series trucks, RPO G80 is the Eaton Gov-Loc which is a locker. Naw, it's not a great one, but it's a locker. And this is where it's more of just an issue of semantics: words matter; if you go shopping for a POSI and end up with an Eaton Gov-Loc, you're gonna be pissed off.

On the topic of # of bolts.. Yes! The Dana 80 which is a beast of an axle (used in the GMT400 3500HD, 15K GVWR chassis cab) has 10 bolts on the cover. While I think we often refer to it as the 11.5" I do believe the ring gear is actually 11.25"

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
On the topic of # of bolts.. Yes! The Dana 80 which is a beast of an axle (used in the GMT400 3500HD, 15K GVWR chassis cab) has 10 bolts on the cover. While I think we often refer to it as the 11.5" I do believe the ring gear is actually 11.25"

If you are referring to my mention of the 11.5" axle, I'm actually not talking about the Dana 80. I'm talking about the AAM 11.5" axle that is roughly based on the 10.5" 14-bolt that GM has used post GMT-400.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 11.5" uses less than 14, too..... 12, I think. The number of bolts on the cover is the only thing that matches the names.... the myth is that it's a myth that it's the number of bolts on the ring gear :D

What cracks me up is when someone say's that they've got a Dana 10-bolt o_O

Alrighty, I'll go ahead and unlearn ring gear bolt count but stand by my previous statement of 8.5/9.5/10.5 and add lug count to that.

Dominooch89

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys soo this is going in a built 540 bbc swap truck with 4 link will the 9.5 14 bolt be strong enough. Or should I look for a 2500-3500 rear end from another brand truck it really doesn’t matter at this point. Custom axles going in and 4 link suspension. You guys all seem experienced what would you do. I spoke to the guy who is shortening the axle he said he could weld on the brackets for me to use an old style Ford big brake kit and moser can make me five lug axles with a Chevy bolt pattern to fit anything. What semi floating rear end would you use that’s going to support 7-800 hp no problem because a full floater is nearly impossible to shorten.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 9.5 14 bolt be plenty strong enough, Use a Eaton posi or spool, Welding the ford ends on give you a bolt in axle eliminating the factory C clips. Go with the Chevy 4-3/4" Bolt pattern axles to give you better wheel options, any competent machinist can redrill your front rotors to match the rear.
I used a Little Shop Manufacturing rear disc brake kit that performs excellent !!

Post up some pics of your progress

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Go with a 9 inch ford. Cheapest parts, most gear selection, pro gears available for when you double your horsepower, Sheetmetal housing so brackets can be welded anywhere you want, and can be ordered with 40 spline axles that can handle 2000+ horsepower that make 10.5 14 bolt axles look like toothpicks. Moser and Currie are brands from Summit Racing that offer totally custom housing options. If you are restricted to GM only axles the 10.5 14 bolt gets my vote for many of the same reasons. Full float axles can certainly be shortened. Moser has the housing ends for that. you can have a 9 inch made with full floating housing ends.