14 bolt rear question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like we're both right. 14 bolt refers to the bolt count holding the ring gear to the carrier. It's merely a coincidence that the cover has 14 bolts. The important thing is that they still make the 9.5" diff, that's what people want when they go for the 14 bolt.
When I think of a 14 bolt the first thing that comes to my mind is the 10.5 full floating version with the pinion support.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I think of a 14 bolt the first thing that comes to my mind is the 10.5 full floating version with the pinion support.

Yup. It's more accurate to say 8.5/9.5/10.5 just like it's better to say 400/800/900 rather than OBS/NBS/NNBS. . . Or at least do like I did in my sig and delineate between the 2.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Same here, but I've learned to also think of the semi-floating axle since it's such a popular swap for the guys that don't want the best axle :D Ok seriously, I like my 10.5 14BFF, but I do realize not everyone needs it, but still may want something better than the 10-bolt.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like we're both right. 14 bolt refers to the bolt count holding the ring gear to the carrier. It's merely a coincidence that the cover has 14 bolts. The important thing is that they still make the 9.5" diff, that's what people want when they go for the 14 bolt.

I didn’t know that! Damn you taught me something lol I thought it was because of the 14 bolts on the diff covers of that 9.5 and 10.5 axles

No it's not semantics. The G80 in trucks is a locker.

well I’ll concede that one and agree that it is theoretically a locker. Doesn’t work worth a damn but I guess that doesn’t make it not a locker

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 14 bolt axles actually have 12 bolt ring gears, both 10.5 FF and 9.5 SF. I have heard the reference to ring gear bolts many times and wonder if that comes from the 10 and 12 bolt axles that have corresponding ring gear bolt numbers. I remember being a little confused the first time I dug into a 9.5 SF and only found 12 bolts on the ring gear.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The 14 bolt axles actually have 12 bolt ring gears, both 10.5 FF and 9.5 SF. I have heard the reference to ring gear bolts many times and wonder if that comes from the 10 and 12 bolt axles that have corresponding ring gear bolt numbers. I remember being a little confused the first time I dug into a 9.5 SF and only found 12 bolts on the ring gear.

The 11.5" uses less than 14, too..... 12, I think. The number of bolts on the cover is the only thing that matches the names.... the myth is that it's a myth that it's the number of bolts on the ring gear :D

What cracks me up is when someone say's that they've got a Dana 10-bolt o_O

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So is it indeed the diff cover bolts that give it the name?

so the current semi float axle from the link I posted earlier would be a 9.5 12 bolt? Even though people may not refer to it as that at all, probably just say 9.5 semi float?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So is it indeed the diff cover bolts that give it the name?

so the current semi float axle from the link I posted earlier would be a 9.5 12 bolt? Even though people may not refer to it as that at all, probably just say 9.5 semi float?

I've never heard of that axle until this thread.... 2014 and on, right? It's kind of new to be considered for swapping for most people, I'd think. I'd say the majority of the trucks that have it are still being driven on the street as daily drivers, possibly with full coverage insurance, and maybe even loans.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep agreed. I didn’t know about it until I googled the 9.5 14 bolt trying to find the answer for the original poster

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked it up and based on the photos people posted, the diff. cover still has 14 bolts on the 6.2 1500 trucks. So I guess it would be easy to identify a truck like this on the junkyard...6.2 = 6 lug/14 bolt, and vice versa...