12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin Taylor

Reaction score
That is good news, I had never tried this and honestly didn't think it worked that way. Looks like i wasted credits when i swapped mine lol thanks for the info.

Yes I learned the hard way as well!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This vid talks of having to license if you want to be able to modify and rewrite. Devin Taylor I guess had the license to his 411 box so he was able to write to it. Im not sure exactly as they(hptuners) are so cryptic about it and steady have the pop up to try to get you to license. Either way it it very confusing.

I already had the license from my old 411 box. I took that same file that was saved on my laptop already and just completely overwrote the file in my new ECU. Now if I had wanted to just modify the file that was in the ECU I would have needed to license it first, but I didn't because I never did anything with that file. So you either don't need the credits if you are overwriting or it was a glitch and I got lucky.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I learned the hard way as well!

I already had the license from my old 411 box. I took that same file that was saved on my laptop already and just completely overwrote the file in my new ECU. Now if I had wanted to just modify the file that was in the ECU I would have needed to license it first, but I didn't because I never did anything with that file. So you either don't need the credits if you are overwriting or it was a glitch and I got lucky.

I'm tempted to go get another 0411 just to try this.

Also you should not need to splice transmission wires.

TexasT

Reaction score
Y'all are full of info. Thanks SO much for sharing!

I'm going to the wrecking yard in the am if it doesn't rain. The yard we are going to has an 02 express van on their inventory listed on the website. I hope the 411 is there and I can get the red and blue connectors.

We are also hunting fiero parts for my son's sc3800 swap. I'm not sure what box he has but it looks like the pic of the 411 box. This was our main purpose for getting the hptuners but since we have it might as well do some 411 swapping in my old truck. I figured out how to do the new Vin and some other stuff on the YouTube. Hptuners is quite the powerful setup. Now we are looking at wide bands so we can log and tune.

And still working on the 4l60e overhaul for our 94 Suburban. Wrench every day like tavarish sez. Also have a blown hg prob on the daughters car. Everything needs attention it seems.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

jerry mize

Reaction score
Since we have a new 96 up Vortec subsection, I thought I would make a new post.

The 12200411 PCM can be installed into the 96 to 2000 GMT400 trucks simply by repining the PCM connector terminals. The wiring is slightly different between the 96, 97, and 98 to 2000 trucks. The 0411 PCM has a much faster processor than the Black Box PCM and has dual timing tables. There is also more support from the tuning software companies for the 0411. EFILive and HPTuners both offer "Custom Operating Systems" for the 0411 to support boost and or nitrous. The swap can be completed in about 2 1/2 hrs and is fairly easy to do. If anyone is interested in the swap just PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy. I will not post the files to the web.

Jeff
[email protected]

Reaction score
New here, just put a 383 stroker in my 98’ k1500 5 speed. Buddy gave me his 0411 pcm and his whole harness, all from his early 2000s trans am. A few questions, is this the same pcm that are in the 01-02 trucks that has been mentioned as the correct source for the new swappable Pcm? All 0411 pcms are the same from my knowledge, but I’d figure I’d verify.I sent a pcm to Jeff(aka LEX?)for the pinout diagram. Other than that what else is involved ? Also, on a different subject, What are my options for intake and injection system ? I’m aware of the issues and limitations to the spider injection. Wondering what other setups y’all are using for injection and intake wise, I’m aware of the marine intake but can’t seem to find one ANYWHERE at this point in time, I’ve heard people mention the ram jet and a few others? The fuel pump is also another question- what can I do for upgrading it or whatever once I get past the spider injection and stock manifold? I just put a stout 383 stroker in my truck, fuel pump quickly went out and replaced it with a Delphi unit, got the truck running good and tuned using HP Tuners and the 5800 rpm rev limiter and the slow stock computer and injection system is holding me back from where I want to be. Thanks in advance to everyone who helps me out and sends me in the right direction. Would like to see this 5 speed 4x4 in the low 15s or high 14s one day !

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the 411 swap worth it on a bone stock vortec 7.4? The only modification I have is a custom exhaust. Also would the 411 out of a van with an 8.1 swap right in? I know they have different firing orders, but I wouldn't think that would matter given that the the 7.4 vortec has a distributor as opposed to the COP of the 8.1. I heard this can increase fuel mileage and give a slight HP boost.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the 411 swap worth it on a bone stock vortec 7.4? The only modification I have is a custom exhaust. Also would the 411 out of a van with an 8.1 swap right in? I know they have different firing orders, but I wouldn't think that would matter given that the the 7.4 vortec has a distributor as opposed to the COP of the 8.1. I heard this can increase fuel mileage and give a slight HP boost.

As someone with a bone stock 454, I recommend the 0411; you won't regret it. I need to do something to mine soon, it's starting to feel slow again. My fuel mileage stayed the same (10.5 MPG) but the truck has a noticeable amount of power, and I'm sure with enough work at a tune I could coax a little more out of it.

I can't comment on the 8.1 tune, @Christian Steffen or @Supercharged111 can speak on that.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As someone with a bone stock 454, I recommend the 0411; you won't regret it. I need to do something to mine soon, it's starting to feel slow again. My fuel mileage stayed the same (10.5 MPG) but the truck has a noticeable amount of power, and I'm sure with enough work at a tune I could coax a little more out of it.

I can't comment on the 8.1 tune, @Christian Steffen or @Supercharged111 can speak on that.
How involved was the tuning for your truck? The wiring seems easy enough.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How involved was the tuning for your truck? The wiring seems easy enough.

Base tune was retarded easy for me. Swiped VE table from a black box, guessed on a spark table, kept existing MAF table, mish mashed 5.7 and 8.1 idle ****, told it it was a 454, and the truck worked well from the get go. I didn't swipe the 8.1 knock sensor info and I should have and plan to. I first want to log observed knock and the spark trims before they're lost by simply flashing new knock sensor values into the PCM.