12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasT

Reaction score
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong here, but AFAIK all the 5.7 express vans got the 4l80e? Either way as long as you get the computer out of the 02 with the 5.7 you should have the correct OS, then worst case you would have to segment swap to get to the 4l80e segment.

You other option is get the 0411 out of whatever you want, and do a write entire with a tune of the correct OS, but this route costs more credits if you're using HP tuners.

Good info. Why would it cost more credits? If i can get an operating system file with the correct setup in it, license the 411 I can find and load it up. Just licensing that one 411 would be two credits. AM I missing something? Probably better to just find the 02 express/savana 411 then I can get the pigtails/connectors and maybe a hold down bracket on the same adventure.

Also Lextech messaged me and said I was getting or he had sent the pin out info to the email but I didn't get it. I hated to bother him again. anyone else have the pin outs for the 99 Suburban to the 02 411? Gravely man at yahoo dot com no space between the gravely and man.

Got the info from Lextech. All set to do the pin swap.

Thanks

Last edited:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good info. Why would it cost more credits? If i can get an operating system file with the correct setup in it, license the 411 I can find and load it up. Just licensing that one 411 would be two credits. AM I missing something? Probably better to just find the 02 express/savana 411 then I can get the pigtails/connectors and maybe a hold down bracket on the same adventure.

Also Lextech messaged me and said I was getting or he had sent the pin out info to the email but I didn't get it. I hated to bother him again. anyone else have the pin outs for the 99 Suburban to the 02 411? Gravely man at yahoo dot com no space between the gravely and man.

Got the info from Lextech. All set to do the pin swap.

Thanks

My 2000 pinout might work for you.

As far as the credits go, as far as i know you would have to license both the computer and the tune with the correct OS, whereas if you pull the computer with the correct OS you should be able to just license that. I could be wrong on this though, its been awhile since i messed with it.

TexasT

Reaction score
I haven't messed with it at all. except to do a vats delete on an 03 cavalier.

I guess I had in my head that I could download this software from something called the repository on the hp tuners place. Haven't gotten that far to search that up yet. Also have to figure out how to put the vin for the 99 suburban on the computer so it can pass inspection. If I didn't have this day job, I am sure I could get more wrenching on my projects done, haha.

ADDED:
Was able to get logged into the hptuners site and into their repository. Unloaded two tunes for the 02 express van with 4l80e segment swaps but the warning was the tunes have aggressive timing tables so that could be a problem. I'll look for a stock tune to ge the stock timing and hopefully be able to paste them in and see. Also have to figure out the vin number mod to get the vin of the 99 into the 411 box so it can get emission inspection.

This is a great thread, and I want to give a GIANT thanks for all that have posted/contributed. It sure has helped me out.

Last edited:

TexasT

Reaction score
My 2000 pinout might work for you.

As far as the credits go, as far as i know you would have to license both the computer and the tune with the correct OS, whereas if you pull the computer with the correct OS you should be able to just license that. I could be wrong on this though, its been awhile since i messed with it.

All right, I've been poking around in the vcm editor and came up with these instructions for changing the vin through the help section tips and tricks. The last 3 lines is where I believe you are right about the needing two licenses, one for old vin/box and one for new vin/tune to be loaded. I looked around in the files I down loaded off the repository but it appears by the instructions you have to be physically hooked to the vehicle/box to do the vin change.

Here is a copy of what I found in the help:
Changing the VIN

Using the Change VIN function allows you to easily change the VIN of the vehicle you are connected to.
This method changes the VIN without having to write a new flash file to the vehicle. Using the Change VIN form will not change the VIN of the file you currently have open.

Procedure
To make VIN changes permanent please use the following steps:

1. Connect to the vehicle and select Change VIN from the Flash menu.
  2. Enter your new valid VIN and click Commit VIN Changes.
  3. Wait 15 seconds after VIN changes have completed.
  4. Turn Ignition off for 30 seconds.
  5. Turn Ignition on for 30 seconds.
  6. Turn Ignition off for 30 seconds.
  7. Turn Ignition on for 30 seconds.
  8. The new VIN is now stored.

You must be registered for see images attach

Change VIN Rules
The following checks are in place when using the Change VIN function:

• You must have support for the vehicle you are modifying.
  • You must have support for the new VIN you are trying to write.
  • The new VIN must be valid and must qualify for the OS currently found on the VCM.
Not really sure where this leads me other than i'm going to have to just go get a 411 box and connectors and follow the lextech pinout swap instructions and see where this leads me. I really don't want to license two boxes but that might be what is required. Another solution I came up with is a 411 box off ebay where they ask for your vin, and let them put it in and then I can just write in a tune for the 02 express van. Another option is get a preprogramed 411 with the vin and tune already in it, but that is getting expensive for my diy budget. and I don't really learn anything by doing those latter things.

Added:
upon reading the three bullet points again, I come with this. If the vehicle we are modifying(I'm at the 99 burb with the 411 box, or is the vehicle I am modifying what ever the 411 box came from?), is the same as the vin we are trying to write(the vin for the 99 burb), would this get us back to having just one license?

Again, I want to thank all who contributed to this thread, it is really helpful.

Last edited:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All right, I've been poking around in the vcm editor and came up with these instructions for changing the vin through the help section tips and tricks. The last 3 lines is where I believe you are right about the needing two licenses, one for old vin/box and one for new vin/tune to be loaded. I looked around in the files I down loaded off the repository but it appears by the instructions you have to be physically hooked to the vehicle/box to do the vin change.

Here is a copy of what I found in the help:
Changing the VIN

Using the Change VIN function allows you to easily change the VIN of the vehicle you are connected to.
This method changes the VIN without having to write a new flash file to the vehicle. Using the Change VIN form will not change the VIN of the file you currently have open.

Procedure
To make VIN changes permanent please use the following steps:

1. Connect to the vehicle and select Change VIN from the Flash menu.
  2. Enter your new valid VIN and click Commit VIN Changes.
  3. Wait 15 seconds after VIN changes have completed.
  4. Turn Ignition off for 30 seconds.
  5. Turn Ignition on for 30 seconds.
  6. Turn Ignition off for 30 seconds.
  7. Turn Ignition on for 30 seconds.
  8. The new VIN is now stored.

You must be registered for see images attach

Change VIN Rules
The following checks are in place when using the Change VIN function:

• You must have support for the vehicle you are modifying.
  • You must have support for the new VIN you are trying to write.
  • The new VIN must be valid and must qualify for the OS currently found on the VCM.
Not really sure where this leads me other than i'm going to have to just go get a 411 box and connectors and follow the lextech pinout swap instructions and see where this leads me. I really don't want to license two boxes but that might be what is required. Another solution I came up with is a 411 box off ebay where they ask for your vin, and let them put it in and then I can just write in a tune for the 02 express van. Another option is get a preprogramed 411 with the vin and tune already in it, but that is getting expensive for my diy budget. and I don't really learn anything by doing those latter things.

Added:
upon reading the three bullet points again, I come with this. If the vehicle we are modifying(I'm at the 99 burb with the 411 box, or is the vehicle I am modifying what ever the 411 box came from?), is the same as the vin we are trying to write(the vin for the 99 burb), would this get us back to having just one license?

Again, I want to thank all who contributed to this thread, it is really helpful.

As far as i know the VIN has nothing to do for computer licensing with HPT. The vin changing is only necessary when you have emissions testing and they check your vin.

DO NOT license the stock black box computer.

If you cannot find a computer from the express van (which would have the correct OS) you will probably need to license the 0411 you get and the tune you're starting with. Email me at [email protected].

TexasT

Reaction score
We have emission testing until the vehicle is 25 yrs old in the county I'm in(deemed a high emission county by the state). This is a 99 so only a few more yrs until safety only annual inspection unless the laws change.

I have a line on what is purported to be an 02 express van 411. Is there a way to decipher a the numbers on the 411 box to know it is from the 02 express van? Seller wanting $70 but if I can't tell it is a 411 from an express van I'm not sure this is the way to go. I guess I could take the hptuners and a battery along when I go look at it and see about what is on the box.

I did down load two express van tunes from the hptuners repository to use when I get a 411. Just didn't know if any old 411 would work or if it needed to be the 02 van. These tunes already have the segment swap for the 4l80e so I think I'm good there. But it was said that they have aggressive timing tables so I'll have to look into that.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We have emission testing until the vehicle is 25 yrs old in the county I'm in(deemed a high emission county by the state). This is a 99 so only a few more yrs until safety only annual inspection unless the laws change.

I have a line on what is purported to be an 02 express van 411. Is there a way to decipher a the numbers on the 411 box to know it is from the 02 express van? Seller wanting $70 but if I can't tell it is a 411 from an express van I'm not sure this is the way to go. I guess I could take the hptuners and a battery along when I go look at it and see about what is on the box.

I did down load two express van tunes from the hptuners repository to use when I get a 411. Just didn't know if any old 411 would work or if it needed to be the 02 van. These tunes already have the segment swap for the 4l80e so I think I'm good there. But it was said that they have aggressive timing tables so I'll have to look into that.

You have a 454 right? I can share a tune that i have for them in stock form email me [email protected] . There is no way by looking at it to tell, you'd have to hook it up and see which OS is used. You need OS # 12212156.

Devin Taylor

Reaction score
You do not need to license the file in the ECU if you are going to rewrite it. I went through this recently with the Camaro. Managed to damage the pins on the already swapped ECU that was in the car so I pulled a 4.3 V6 computer from an Astro. Did a write entire with my LS1/T56 setup and was good to go, no credits required at all.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You do not need to license the file in the ECU if you are going to rewrite it. I went through this recently with the Camaro. Managed to damage the pins on the already swapped ECU that was in the car so I pulled a 4.3 V6 computer from an Astro. Did a write entire with my LS1/T56 setup and was good to go, no credits required at all.

That is good news, I had never tried this and honestly didn't think it worked that way. Looks like i wasted credits when i swapped mine lol thanks for the info.

TexasT

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This vid talks of having to license if you want to be able to modify and rewrite. Devin Taylor I guess had the license to his 411 box so he was able to write to it. Im not sure exactly as they(hptuners) are so cryptic about it and steady have the pop up to try to get you to license. Either way it is very confusing.

Next question, I thought I read somewhere that the wiring of the trans had been worked around, or do I still need to run some wires from trans/dash to the 411 box? I am a 99 454/4l80e if that makes a difference.

Last edited: