12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem solved. I went and got a 12212156 operating system from an 02 Express Van off HP Tuners (that OS allows removing the PRNDL - thus saving the wire splicing) - and the one I found from Hutchinson had a 1996 Vortec 5.7 tune with it. I went into the tune and double checked the PRNDL and VATs, uploaded it into my 0411 (costing another 2 credits - 4 total for this project), and now it started right up and seems to run and drive fine - no CEL after a longer trip around the block.

In uploading the 12212156 Vortec 5.7 Tune I noticed that it warned me about OS - tune being different (I can't remember the exact language), and that tipped me off to the fact that I needed to upload everything to the 0411 (OS and everything). I guess that is risky in that you can "brick" the 0411, but I did not have any issue with that.

Hindsight being 20-20, I didn't really understand the interaction between the 0411 hardware - the operating system ("OS") - and the tune. While I looked at the OS on the 0411 I had (2001 4.3 V6 I believe) and wondered how that was going to work with my V8 (being from a V6 vehicle), I didn't really understand it totally, I just took it on faith that it would work. I think I somehow further confused myself by thinking that I was able to upload a 1998 5.7 Vortec tune onto my 0411 (there are multiple stock tunes available on HP Tuner) without using credits (I think what I actually did was download off my 0411 the existing tune, and then make some changes) . . . but clearly I must have never done that, and just mis-remembered doing that. Remarkably, when I compared the 4.3 tune to the 5.7 vortec tune in HPTuners VCM editor there weren't a lot of differences that would make much of a difference . . . so most of my issues must have been coming from the Operating System being wrong (which, as I understand it, runs "behind the scenes"). Remarkably, the truck ran with the 4.3 OS and tune, though terribly.

Now I understand why people go hunting for certain 0411s (which I didn't do) . . . that alleviates the 4 credit situation if you can find one with an OS that will work with the truck and then just modify the existing tune that works with that OS.

Regardless, truck is now ready for new engine with minor modifications, and I learned a lot.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem solved. I went and got a 12212156 operating system from an 02 Express Van off HP Tuners (that OS allows removing the PRNDL - thus saving the wire splicing) - and the one I found from Hutchinson had a 1996 Vortec 5.7 tune with it. I went into the tune and double checked the PRNDL and VATs, uploaded it into my 0411 (costing another 2 credits - 4 total for this project), and now it started right up and seems to run and drive fine - no CEL after a longer trip around the block.

In uploading the 12212156 Vortec 5.7 Tune I noticed that it warned me about OS - tune being different (I can't remember the exact language), and that tipped me off to the fact that I needed to upload everything to the 0411 (OS and everything). I guess that is risky in that you can "brick" the 0411, but I did not have any issue with that.

Hindsight being 20-20, I didn't really understand the interaction between the 0411 hardware - the operating system ("OS") - and the tune. While I looked at the OS on the 0411 I had (2001 4.3 V6 I believe) and wondered how that was going to work with my V8 (being from a V6 vehicle), I didn't really understand it totally, I just took it on faith that it would work. I think I somehow further confused myself by thinking that I was able to upload a 1998 5.7 Vortec tune onto my 0411 (there are multiple stock tunes available on HP Tuner) without using credits (I think what I actually did was download off my 0411 the existing tune, and then make some changes) . . . but clearly I must have never done that, and just mis-remembered doing that. Remarkably, when I compared the 4.3 tune to the 5.7 vortec tune in HPTuners VCM editor there weren't a lot of differences that would make much of a difference . . . so most of my issues must have been coming from the Operating System being wrong (which, as I understand it, runs "behind the scenes"). Remarkably, the truck ran with the 4.3 OS and tune, though terribly.

Now I understand why people go hunting for certain 0411s (which I didn't do) . . . that alleviates the 4 credit situation if you can find one with an OS that will work with the truck and then just modify the existing tune that works with that OS.

Regardless, truck is now ready for new engine with minor modifications, and I learned a lot.

I wish i would have jumped on here a couple days ago.. could have helped you out. Everything you figured out is correct. When doing these swaps finding a computer with the correct OS helps a lot.

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Christian, thanks for the confirmation. I agree that finding the right OS definitely helps, but I got my two 0411s from someone on here for a good price and I didn't have to take my time going to a junk yard to dig around, so while I was surprised at having to use 2 more HP Tuners credits to make things work, I feel like that was still a win for me. I tried to understand as much about this as I could before I dug into it . . . but as with most things, until you're actually in it, you don't know what you don't know. The good news is the truck seems to be running great with the 0411. Maybe (probably) it's psychological, but it seems better.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Christian, thanks for the confirmation. I agree that finding the right OS definitely helps, but I got my two 0411s from someone on here for a good price and I didn't have to take my time going to a junk yard to dig around, so while I was surprised at having to use 2 more HP Tuners credits to make things work, I feel like that was still a win for me. I tried to understand as much about this as I could before I dug into it . . . but as with most things, until you're actually in it, you don't know what you don't know. The good news is the truck seems to be running great with the 0411. Maybe (probably) it's psychological, but it seems better.

Yeah the credits aren't the end of the world, especially since you got it figured out. There is a pretty good learning curve to this stuff lol And it would surprise me its actually running better.

Reaction score
Since we have a new 96 up Vortec subsection, I thought I would make a new post.

The 12200411 PCM can be installed into the 96 to 2000 GMT400 trucks simply by repining the PCM connector terminals. The wiring is slightly different between the 96, 97, and 98 to 2000 trucks. The 0411 PCM has a much faster processor than the Black Box PCM and has dual timing tables. There is also more support from the tuning software companies for the 0411. EFILive and HPTuners both offer "Custom Operating Systems" for the 0411 to support boost and or nitrous. The swap can be completed in about 2 1/2 hrs and is fairly easy to do. If anyone is interested in the swap just PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy. I will not post the files to the web.

Jeff
Trying to email you needing a repin on a 97 Chevy c1500 5.7 vortec to do a 411 pcm swap email is [email protected]

Big dreams

Reaction score
Hi lex how u doing sir I sent u a pm just wanted to see if u got it sir
I have a 96 c3500 5.7L 4L80E CCLB
If I could get the 411 pin swap please sir
Thank you and hope you have a great Father’s Day weekend sir and many thanks for everything you have done sir
Email is [email protected]

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanted to let everyone know Lextech got back to me here through PM a month ago and I didn't notice I had a PM until this weekend. He said he never got my PM on the other site so there must be some kind of an issue there. Anyway, I now have the pinout and am in good shape to do this project.

TexasT

Reaction score
I wish i would have jumped on here a couple days ago.. could have helped you out. Everything you figured out is correct. When doing these swaps finding a computer with the correct OS helps a lot.
I am in the midst of attempting the 0411 swap to a 99 suburban 7.4l/4l80e.
This os wrinkle adds another 'wrinkle' to my limited knowledge. I'm going to the wrecking yard in the near future to hunt the 02express/Savana 411 box and harness connectors. This leads to the question on this 411 will I be getting the "right' os and be able to program the prndl out so I won't have to do the wire splicing? Also with the 4l80e do I need to be finding the 411 out of a 2500 van with the 4l80e in it to avoid probs? Or is this easily remedied with a segment swap?
Thanks for any help .

Last edited:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in the midst of attempting the 0411 swap to a 99 suburban 7.4l/4l80e.
This os wrinkle adds another 'wrinkle' to my limited knowledge. I'm going to the wrecking yard in the near future to hunt the 02express/Savana 411 box and harness connectors. This leads to the question on this 411 will I be getting the "right' os and be able to program the prndl out so I won't have to do the wire splicing? Also with the 4l80e do I need to be finding the 411 out of a 2500 van with the 4l80e in it to avoid probs? Or is this easily remedied with a segment swap?
Thanks for any help .
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong here, but AFAIK all the 5.7 express vans got the 4l80e? Either way as long as you get the computer out of the 02 with the 5.7 you should have the correct OS, then worst case you would have to segment swap to get to the 4l80e segment.

You other option is get the 0411 out of whatever you want, and do a write entire with a tune of the correct OS, but this route costs more credits if you're using HP tuners.