12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 520 head L30 305 running on the black box with a 218/218 flat tappet cam, 1.6 rockers for 0.484 lift long tubes, 2.5" dual exhaust to the magnaflow dual 2.5 in / single 3" out muffler and Volant on it was in the 270-280 gm/sec range at 5,500 rpm. With milled Etec 170s on it, was 290-300 gms/sec and carried fairly close to that to 6,200 rpm.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see now that I chopped the whole right column off of my image. In the past I'd usually hit 110kpa, but on that day I saw 116.
We were probably making similar power than, me NA at near sea level and you at altitude with a little boost. 110-116 KPA is probably just enough boost to offset the blowers power consumption compared to a NA engine with 95-96 KPA especially considering the hotter intake charge. In your case, blower is likely mostly returning what you lose due to elevation and density loss. At the same elevation the blower would kill what mine made, atleast for a short period of time until the MATs went sky high and the PCM starts pulling timing to keep the pistons intact. The 305 with a whipple I tuned on down here years ago had water/methanol system to cool the intake charge running at 10 psi of boost. Stock L30 with a whipple and headers was making ~300 whp and ~350 wtq through the 5spd at 10 psi on water/methanol injection. With headers and a tune it made 230 whp and 308 wtq, 3rd gear pulls to keep the driveshaft in it. With the blower and the truck being a RCSB fleetside, the owner did not use 1st gear to launch it at the track, ran better times launching in 2nd gear, avoiding that widely stepped 1-2 shift all together.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should also mention, the timing table in that file is probably only good on 91+ octane and the increased torque management upshift torque reduction, shorter shift times, line pressure settings from a 4L60E Tow/Haul mode will firm the 60E up a lot amd make it shift a lot quicker without going beyond GMs recomeended pressure levels.

Except for shift RPM, the transmission is setup exactly like my brothers 99 Suburban was and we beat the snot out of it. That suburban scooted, especially 0-40 in 1st gear. It had hooker long tubes and hooker dual exhaust, high flow cats, and Vibrant bottle resonators rather than mufflers. Stock L31 with a 705' stamped LT1 roller cam (95 F/Y-car?), 1.6 rockers, and Volant air intake, ran best shifting it at 5,500 rpm. This was merging uphill into an 85 mph limit with traffic running more than that, hence the pedal was on the floor the whole time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We were probably making similar power than, me NA at near sea level and you at altitude with a little boost. 110-116 KPA is probably just enough boost to offset the blowers power consumption compared to a NA engine with 95-96 KPA especially considering the hotter intake charge. In your case, blower is likely mostly returning what you lose due to elevation and density loss. At the same elevation the blower would kill what mine made, atleast for a short period of time until the MATs went sky high and the PCM starts pulling timing to keep the pistons intact. The 305 with a whipple I tuned on down here years ago had water/methanol system to cool the intake charge running at 10 psi of boost. Stock L30 with a whipple and headers was making ~300 whp and ~350 wtq through the 5spd at 10 psi on water/methanol injection. With headers and a tune it made 230 whp and 308 wtq, 3rd gear pulls to keep the driveshaft in it. With the blower and the truck being a RCSB fleetside, the owner did not use 1st gear to launch it at the track, ran better times launching in 2nd gear, avoiding that widely stepped 1-2 shift all together.

With the low boost levels, my thought has been that it would run like this at a lower elevation without the blower. Up here you don't have much else if a choice. Last time I was NA with it at a lower elevation I think was 2015, and that was pre-marine cam/intake as well. Thing was effortless. It's better though down there with the blower. I could legit get into trouble with this thing.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the low boost levels, my thought has been that it would run like this at a lower elevation without the blower. Up here you don't have much else if a choice. Last time I was NA with it at a lower elevation I think was 2015, and that was pre-marine cam/intake as well. Thing was effortless. It's better though down there with the blower. I could legit get into trouble with this thing.
Same in the Express van and I am not just talking about an extorsion fee handed to me by someone in a uniform that broke more laws than I did while driving wrecklessly to catch up. When the 350 was in the van, it went 45* to the road at 40-45 mph after breaking the tires loose on dry pavement on the 1-2 shift. That was with the Lunati 218/228 cam twisting it 6,000-6,200 rpm. My brother and I were talking about grabbing dinner before heading back to the shop, me on autopilot took the exit for the shop. My brother said hey, what about food. I told him sorry brain is on autopilot. I stopped at the 3 way, then burried the go pedal to get up the short, steep little on ramp there and it proceeded to skate around on the 1-2 shift, putting us 45* to the road. I let off, steered out of it and got it back under control. My brother looks over and said in a hurry much. I said, yea food is calling, I got back into it and merged on the highway. I am fairly certain it had the 5.13s in the 9.5 at the time. I have had the 383 break tires loose when the converter locks in 2nd gear at 60-65 mph a couple of times as well, felt like transmission slip the first time, but I caught it on a datalog and the MPH went up sbout 6-8 MPH, then dropped back down 2 or 3. Forget using any throttle on a rainy day.

Last edited:

pl813239

Reaction score
Also worth mentioning, the injector data in that file is also an extraction from a 2008 Express 4.3L that had the newer MPFI upgrade injectors from the factory.
Awesome I will also input that data in, one thing that's been bothering me is the current express file am running is from an l31 equipped with an air pump so obviously am getting the p0410 code, other then removing the dtc would it be a good idea to change the values found under fuel for example o2 sensors, open loop/base and spark catalyst strt correction, to the ones found in a file without an air pump? Those were the only tabs I found with differences from a non air pump file, any help is appreciated, thanks.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome I will also input that data in, one thing that's been bothering me is the current express file am running is from an l31 equipped with an air pump so obviously am getting the p0410 code, other then removing the dtc would it be a good idea to change the values found under fuel for example o2 sensors, open loop/base and spark catalyst strt correction, to the ones found in a file without an air pump? Those were the only tabs I found with differences from a non air pump file, any help is appreciated, thanks.
The air pump only runs in open loop when the engine is under a certain coolant temp. It shuts off prior to the engine entering closed loop. To disable ot, set the DTC to No Error Reported, Uncheck the SES Enable, and set the air pump disable temp to the same value as the non-air pump calibration. The 02 voltages are different because of differences in the Express vans exhaust. You could use the GMT400 ones or just leave the Express ones. The LD and HD vans are slightly different there too. Higher 02 target voltage off-idle on the HD vans because GM wanted them to run a bit richer.

pl813239

Reaction score
The air pump only runs in open loop when the engine is under a certain coolant temp. It shuts off prior to the engine entering closed loop. To disable ot, set the DTC to No Error Reported, Uncheck the SES Enable, and set the air pump disable temp to the same value as the non-air pump calibration. The 02 voltages are different because of differences in the Express vans exhaust. You could use the GMT400 ones or just leave the Express ones. The LD and HD vans are slightly different there too. Higher 02 target voltage off-idle on the HD vans because GM wanted them to run a bit richer.
Thanks! I noticed the ect to disable was the same on all files regardless if equipped or not, so I just set the dtc as instructed and left ect at 36°, am wondering if setting the ect to 256 would completely disable it or am good with just adjusting the dtc, thoughts?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! I noticed the ect to disable was the same on all files regardless if equipped or not, so I just set the dtc as instructed and left ect at 36°, am wondering if setting the ect to 256 would completely disable it or am good with just adjusting the dtc, thoughts?
You want the value the opposite. Since it disables above the temp, you want the temp set as low as possible, it will be like -40F.