11.5 NBS Axle Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
There are probably threads about this, but i can't find anything. How hard would it be to swap an 11.5" FF rear axle from a NBS truck into a '98 K3500? I already have a full float, and i can figure out brake pressure with a proportioning valve. Physically, how hard would it be to mount one in? Any help would be appreciated!

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spring perches and shock mounts are in different locations. Not that big of deal If you can weld. I swapped a 2002 9.5 14 bolt into my 98 k1500 and I just picked up a 2007 10.5 14 bolt I need to modify to fit in my 2000 ccsb. Ruff Stuff Specialties sells kits for this.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If you've already got a 14bff I'd keep it...or swap in a later one with discs. I don't think swapping in the 11.5 is worth it...same hubs as the 14bff.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
If you've already got a 14bff I'd keep it...or swap in a later one with discs. I don't think swapping in the 11.5 is worth it...same hubs as the 14bff.

For some reason a newer 14 bolt with discs didn't occur to me. How hard of a swap would it be?

Mike350AMF

Reaction score
In the process of swapping in an 11.5 out of a 2003. I will post some measurements once it is complete. 3 to 4 weeks out.
Grabbing some perches from off-road design.
Just be aware, if you are looking to build up the 11.5, it is costly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheyenee35

Reaction score
I realize this thread is close to a year old. Curious if Mike350AMF got his axle swap completed. If so, what all was involved?

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I realize this thread is close to a year old. Curious if Mike350AMF got his axle swap completed. If so, what all was involved?

as stated above, new spring perches and shock mounts. possibly a different u joint to mate the driveshaft to the axle, but I don't know that part for sure

AirMdwn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question too, regarding the 14 bolt 10.5 with discs, do these bolt in? And from what years can they be pulled? I'm not finding any straight answers.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To my knowledge the disc brake 14bolta all came on 2002-up vehicles which have a different frame design and width. There are no common direct bolt on factory disc brake axles from gm/aam. Please, please prove me wrong.

I am putting an 11.5” aam under my ‘97 k2500. The aam axle leaf perch width is roughly 2” total wider than the factory 9.5”SF 14 bolt it came with. I got generic leaf perches from ruff stuff to fit the axle tube diameter of this monster and will burn them in later in the year