10bolt to 14 bolt swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, Plan on replacing my old failed 10 bolt 6 lug with a 14 bolt SF 6 lug axle on my 98 silverado 4x4 ESC,

Now, I have read countless forums and many post's on this matter and I have a few questions that need clarifying...

1.) Does the front gear ratio have to match the rear? (my stock came with the GU6 option 3.42's)

2.) the whole shock mount plates and drive shaft/yoke... will I need replacements for these parts or will they swap over from the 10 bolt? ( I have read where some people have luck and some dont. (which doesnt make sense to me)

3.) Is there a EXACT parts list of what I will need to complete the swap?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
1) If you want to use 4wd then yes, your gear ratios should match
2) You will need u-bolt plates from a 14 bolt because the axle tube is bigger, also you can swap yokes from your 10 bolt or use a conversion u-joint. Steel driveshaft needs a precision 447, aluminum one-piece driveshaft uses precision 448.
3) 14 bolt sf axle out of a 4wd OBS truck, u-bolt plates or u-bolt flip kit, conversion u-joint (if you choose to go this route)

p.s. Welcome to GMT400!

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
if it's a SF you can grind out the u bolt plates from a 10 bolt for them to work also.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
1) If you want to use 4wd then yes, your gear ratios should match
2) You will need u-bolt plates from a 14 bolt because the axle tube is bigger, also you can swap yokes from your 10 bolt or use a conversion u-joint. Steel driveshaft needs a precision 447, aluminum one-piece driveshaft uses precision 448.
3) 14 bolt sf axle out of a 4wd OBS truck, u-bolt plates or u-bolt flip kit, conversion u-joint (if you choose to go this route)

p.s. Welcome to GMT400!

Just so I'm completely clear: You CAN use the yoke from a current 10 bolt? Any advantages or disadvantages besides the obvious of having the current yoke on hand?

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
yes you can use the 10bolt yoke for sure on a SF, i don't know why you couldn't on a FF

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
And there are plenty of people grinding down the u bolt plates for them to work on SF axles.

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked my axle up... I will get pics up when we get the swap going... I will post back if help is need, thanks for the info thus far guys.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Just so I'm completely clear: You CAN use the yoke from a current 10 bolt? Any advantages or disadvantages besides the obvious of having the current yoke on hand?
Yes you can... but I'd say a conversion u-joint is easier to work with than taking off the yoke.
And there are plenty of people grinding down the u bolt plates for them to work on SF axles.
Just because people do it doesn't mean its a good idea.