100 DEGREE TEMP, WRECKED ENGINE??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from camping at Bend OR with the '94 GMC k1500 Burb in which I installed a 383 stroker in 2019 and its got 13,000 miles on it. We live in Blaine WA so it was a 1000 mile round trip towing a 4500 lb travel trailer. The 383 ran great until Sunday. That day in Northern Oregon and southern Washington temps stayed at 100 degrees all day. Hwy 97 is seriously up and down all the way from Bend to Yakima where we camped the first nite. Toward the end of the day stopped for gas and the engine died before I could shut it down. Then it hardly started, had to rev it to 2000 rpm to keep it running, after a few minutes it would keep running but it was idling a lot faster than it used to over 1000 rpm. Been idling at 3-500 rpm in gear to out of gear. So, we made it home but starting it was always a challenge. It never overheated and the Tranny only got up to 200 degrees for a little while, most of the time it ran at 180. Got really hot in the engine compartment but nothing melted, got headers but removed the splash guards and front rock guard to get air into and out of the engine compartment.

Had the chip reprogramed by OLD EFI and we had it perfect. Wonder if I glitched it somehow? The check engine light came on for the first time ever when it was idling after start up. Once we got underway the light went out. Seems to run good as usual once you get going but still idles too fast. Any ideas of what might of happened????

this sounds a little like MotoDude's thread he just posted.
I would not say the 100 degree temps are a thing, but elevation is. The high you go the thinner the air and the more octane you need, 93+