10 bolt to 14 bolt swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, the conversion joint is weaker, if nothing else, because it is greasable (greasable are softer metal than non).
Correct
You shouldn’t have any issues honestly with something like this.
Measurements should be in there double check what you have. This worked to get mine mobile till I got custom shafts made.
YES , ALWAYS USE A QUALITY U JOINT

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think a lot of the greasable u-joints that break are because of being installed improperly indexed. The cross should be installed with normal direction of rotation compressing the grease zerk (threaded) passage.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I'm seeing is that all U-joints are forged. Some get drilled for grease passages.

The 447 conversion joint is not as huge as the Dana-Spicer link posted above, for a 1310-to-1350 conversion joint.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If someone has ABS, shouldn't they change the proportioning valve too? It's not called a 'proportioning' though; it begins with a "C." My brain is sleeping. JB5 to JB6?

No. For one, the proportioning is done inside the ABS pump itself and for 2, the 6 bolt 9.5" has its own size wheel cylinders to keep the proportioning in check. They're weak though, I will be stepping up my rear braking force next brake job. Probably going to try the cylinders from the 13" drums, see if that's just enough without being too much. But I'd be wise to get to know my new shoes first.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
No. For one, the proportioning is done inside the ABS pump itself and for 2, the 6 bolt 9.5" has its own size wheel cylinders to keep the proportioning in check. They're weak though, I will be stepping up my rear braking force next brake job. Probably going to try the cylinders from the 13" drums, see if that's just enough without being too much. But I'd be wise to get to know my new shoes first.
Thanks. I wasn't sure about that. I do believe, but I can't trust what's left of my brain, that the JB5 and JB6 valves have different part numbers. I have to find an old thread to confirm or dispel my memory...ABS is like voodoo to me, lol.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I wasn't sure about that. I do believe, but I can't trust what's left of my brain, that the JB5 and JB6 valves have different part numbers. I have to find an old thread to confirm or dispel my memory...ABS is like voodoo to me, lol.

I can never keep the RPOs straight in my head, but the 8.5, 6 lug 9.5, 8 lug 9.5, SRW 10.5, and DRW 10.5 all use different wheel cylinders. IIRC the 8.5 has a bigger cylinder than the 6 lug 9.5, and there is interchangeability to put bigger cylinders onto said 6 lug 9.5. I believe there is a thread dedicated to this already somewhere.