10 Bolt CHEAP Locker Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So as some of you may know I've recently 4L80E swapped my V6 truck. It runs great, although off the line performance has suffered a little considering my 3.42 factory gears. I plan on upgrading to a 454SS 14 bolt semi-floater at some point but until then I'm considering throwing some 4.10 gears in my 10 bolt. The only thing is, if I'm in there already I feel like I should really do something about the factory G80 carrier. It works, I just don't like it.

I've looked at mini spools but apparently those only work with the factory open carriers, which I do not have. A full size spool seems like it would be ideal but every one I can find says it requires the installation of C-clip eliminators, which brings the parts price up into the realm of a real locker.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Can I install a full size spool without running C-clip eliminators? I don't see much difference between that and running a welded carrier but I may be missing something.

2.) If the spool won't work without the C-clip eliminators, could I just weld the factory G80 carrier?

I'm basically looking for the cheapest possible way to lock up the 10 bolt. It's coming out eventually anyway so longevity is not a huge concern, I just don't want to throw an axle out of the housing doing 70 down the highway. Any input would be appreciated, if none of this is a good idea feel free to tell me and I'll just leave the carrier alone.

EDIT - Well I'm dumb. I just thought about the first question for a minute and I'm pretty sure the full spool would leave no place to actually install the C-clips, so that idea's out. Question two still stands though, I'd love some more info about welding the G80.

Last edited:

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Power Trax ...I installed one in my 65 drag car with its original single side - non posi rear ...it took an afternoon , requires no special tools and worked fine even with my 10.5 :1 462 cid big blocks torque ...... I ran it at the track many ,many times with no issues- it would lay two nice burnout marks every time just like a posi ...I am pretty sure it will hold up under these trucks much lower torque levels. As I recall it was around $350 and I reused the stock high mileage 65 axles which held up also ....It engages and unlocks all by itself -no issues.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Power Trax ...I installed one in my 65 drag car with its original single side - non posi rear ...it took an afternoon , requires no special tools and worked fine even with my 10.5 :1 462 cid big blocks torque ...... I ran it at the track many ,many times with no issues- it would lay two nice burnout marks every time just like a posi ...I am pretty sure it will hold up under these trucks much lower torque levels. As I recall it was around $350 and I reused the stock high mileage 65 axles which held up also ....It engages and unlocks all by itself -no issues.

Appreciate the input guys, but the lock right installation is listed basically the same as a mini spool. Which is to say it installs in place of the spider gears in a standard open differential carrier. I have the G80 carrier so I don't believe that will work for me.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The more I think about this the more I lean towards just dealing with it and not wasting any money on the 10 bolt. Pretty much every option involves swapping the carrier except welding, which is why I was interested in that approach. Feel free to continue adding info to this thread though, might help someone later on down the road.

I'll probably just wait to spend any money until I acquire a 454SS 5 lug 14 bolt SF, then build that up with a Detroit Locker and 4.10s. That's been the end goal this whole time, anyway.