1/2T NP241 to 1T BW4401

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
/What does that clutch oil thing do?

on my k3500, with the BW4401, I shift to 4WD...and i feel the gears engage, I have a manual pull switch under the dash to lock in the front axel disconnect, but I do not feel like im in 4wd. I dont get that stiff steering wheel when turning, or the pull like the front end is fighting the backend.

Im also not getting my 4X4 light coming on at all, im thinking thats due to the front actuator being gone...am i right on that point?

TahoeHD

Reaction score
I have the same question about the clutch coil. I converted my 99 2 door Tahoe from a 4l60e/241c to a nv4500/Bw4401 setup a while back. I wired the clutch coil to the front axle actuator. I found a wire on the actuator that was "hot" only when i shifted into 4wd. Everything worked fine except that it caused the actuator to burn out after a 20 or so minutes of 4wd driving. I went through two actuators before i realized that it was the transfer case causing the problem. My question is: How exactly should I wire the clutch coil? Can I run a fused 12v straight off the battery to a toggle switch and then straight to the clutch coil wire?
Thank you,
Kyle

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it does, but the 4WD does not work without it wired in hot. I wired the clutch coil and the actuator in the same circuit split from the tcase switch. I'm not sure if I've ever used 4WD for 20 minutes straight since then. I will keep an eye out for problems to see if I run in the to same issue.

454/4x4, I'm sure your light doesn't come on due to the actuator...but that might also be your problem with the clutch coil. I don't know how it is wired stock, but maybe it is tied in to the elec actuator that you are no longer using.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my 95 K3500 out into a field and figured out how to use the manual front axle and manual T-case setup, its pretty slick...

I pull the lver back into 4HI...I can do this sitting still, creeping, or rolling at speed....then I reach under the dash and snatch out the lever...and im in 4HI.

If I pull the manual T-case lever to 4LO..I only have 2LO...and no 4X4 light..as the front end is not engaged...once I pull out the lever under the dash, the 4X4 light comes on, and im locked 4LO.

Kingkain420

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it does, but the 4WD does not work without it wired in hot. I wired the clutch coil and the actuator in the same circuit split from the tcase switch. I'm not sure if I've ever used 4WD for 20 minutes straight since then. I will keep an eye out for problems to see if I run in the to same issue.

454/4x4, I'm sure your light doesn't come on due to the actuator...but that might also be your problem with the clutch coil. I don't know how it is wired stock, but maybe it is tied in to the elec actuator that you are no longer using.
What wire did you wire the clutch into and where does it lead to

Kingkain420

Reaction score
Here you go.
You must be registered for see images attach

If you need to know what a specific # is- let me know and I'll do my best.

FYI: I've almost maxed-out my monthly allowance, so be sure to save those images.
Can you repost the wiring diagram for this k3500 5 speed clutch coil wiring please

Kingkain420

Reaction score
Here you go.

If you need to know what a specific # is- let me know and I'll do my best.

FYI: I've almost maxed-out my monthly allowance, so be sure to save those images.
Any chance you could find these diagrams for the bw4401 and a 1990 k1500 241 wiring