05 Silverado DD project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interior obviously needs a deep cleaning, but looks like nothing is broken or torn. Seems like a killer deal!
A few things are messed up in the interior, the dash is cracked, the driver door doesn't have the plastic to go over the lock, the passenger pillar trim is missing and the fog light button has the center pushed out. Nothing major or that can't be picked up for cheap at the junk yard.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to the junk yard and got some parts for both trucks, I picked up both A pillar trim pieces , the plastic cover for the door lock, an antenna and a center console latch for the 400. Paid 8 or 9$ for all of it. Almost every NBS truck had the pillar trim raided out of it, of the 4 I found these 2 were the only ones that had the back clip still intact.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pillar trim & antenna installed

After I got the antenna hooked up I tested the speakers once more since I could get a good signal. The speakers weren't that great, the driver door speaker is completely dead, both tweeters are blown and so is the passenger door speaker. The rears aren't but are on their last legs.

I also got the driver side half door open and fixed. The bottom rod separated from the handle because the plastic retainer busted, I fixed it with 2 zip-ties and it now the door works great.

I can't start working under the hood until next week now, the radiator & thermostat are arriving later than expected and will be here Sunday or Monday now.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
You mentioned earlier that you've never seen amber signal bulbs peel...I thought this was interesting myself. I've bought several sets of Sylvania bulbs. They all seemed to do it on the tops of them where the heat radiates off.
I see the bulb tint peeling all the time on vehicles, bothers the crap out of me, lol.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the new radiator and thermostat installed today, the motor runs great now. When I pulled the radiator it was mostly empty and pretty orange, ran water through the cooling system for a while to make sure it was clean before reassembly.
I bled the cooling system and took her for a spin, she runs great until she gets pissed that the cats are clogged and bogs down, I floored it and she was not happy. I need to cut the cats out and put some pipe in their place and maybe pick up a cheap Flowmaster from the junk yard.

I opened the air box and found that at some point mice were living in it, the air filter needs to be replaced.

I started to buff on the paint a little bit, she should be a solid 10 footer. I'm dreading doing the interior, more specifically that nasty ass carpet.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the cats cut off Tuesday, the driver side cat was the worse one. The innards broke completely free and was in 2 pieces, the passenger side was loose but not as bad.
Driver cat

Put a new air filter in Wednesday, I didn't have the correct size exhaust clamps so she sat until Thursday. I replaced the cats with pipe and took her for the first actual drive since I bought her. I went to the car wash to wash the oil off of the underside, gave her the beans on the way there & home, temp didn't spike and she did good.

Hoping to get it detailed & start on the interior this weekend, then get it tagged this coming week.

Last edited:

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to allot as much time as I would like to Ms.Ferguson, but she is slowly getting there. I got the oil changed the other day and have been slowly detailing her since, I finished detailing her and got the tag lights installed today. She's looking a lot better without all the hard water spots and trim.

I still need to scrape some paint off the windows and get the vinyl off around the door handles.

I ordered some speakers for the front doors, a new key fob, some window tint and parking lamps. The speakers and key fob will be here Saturday, the tint will be here sometime next week and the parking lamps were ordered last week but still haven't shown up yet, hoping they'll be here tomorrow or Saturday.

Ms.Ferguson is getting tagged on Monday, my 400 has been acting up lately so she's getting parked this weekend and her tag swapped over.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The front carpet and seats got cleaned last weekend, they could use a second pass, but the interior smells a lot better already.
Before

After

Speakers and parking lights got installed and the new key fob got programmed last weekend as well.

I found some more lies about this truck, was told all the brakes were replaced. The fronts have new pads and newer rotors but the rears have hardly any pad left. One of the shoes said 2014 on it, new my ass.

Found out the back brakes weren't great when I was going down the interstate yesterday, this freight train doesn't like to stop well at higher speeds and the rears squealed bad. Need to pick up some new shoes tomorrow and possibly drums.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I found some more lies about this truck, was told all the brakes were replaced. The fronts have new pads and newer rotors but the rears have hardly any pad left. One of the shoes said 2014 on it, new my ass.

Found out the back brakes weren't great when I was going down the interstate yesterday, this freight train doesn't like to stop well at higher speeds and the rears squealed bad. Need to pick up some new shoes tomorrow and possibly drums.

I wish the brakes on my Saturn had looked that good..... you being in Florida I suppose even your drum brakes stay nicer than they do up north.

I've got new in the box pads that are much older than 2014 and I only purchased them a year or two ago.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new to me set of shoes seem to have solved the problem and it stops slightly better. I got some of the paint off of the interior, I might try to scrape whats left off but I'm not really worried about it.

I still have a few things left to do but she's pretty close to being done.

She's a good truck but she is going to get re-homed pretty soon. I planned on keeping her for longer but selling her, getting another 400 and lowering said 400 is very enticing, and I'd rather have a lowered 400.