0411 swap problem - getting $0281 error code on autocal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 chevy SBSC with L31R

I just got my flash/tune from Blackbear, and am trying to install thru OBDII port using an Autocal. I keep getting a $0281 error code when trying to load the tune to 0411 ecm. BB says that is a communication error code, and could be issue with OBDII port wiring or ignition wiring. The ignition seems to work properly, and truck turns over just does not start. The OBD port is powering my autocal.

I've verified my cig lighter is operational, pulled the AM radio fuse (and radio batt fuse), abs fuse, and I double and triple checked the wiring diagram I received from Lextech. Still getting the error code.

I will admit, I had the blue ecm connector installed upside down on the 0411 initially. I have since corrected this, but still getting 0281.

I also have an Autopage aftermarket alarm with a starter disable relay. Would the alarm possibly be causing an issue with 0281 ?

Please help.

Thanks,
Mike

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 chevy SBSC with L31R

I just got my flash/tune from Blackbear, and am trying to install thru OBDII port using an Autocal. I keep getting a $0281 error code when trying to load the tune to 0411 ecm. BB says that is a communication error code, and could be issue with OBDII port wiring or ignition wiring. The ignition seems to work properly, and truck turns over just does not start. The OBD port is powering my autocal.

I've verified my cig lighter is operational, pulled the AM radio fuse (and radio batt fuse), abs fuse, and I double and triple checked the wiring diagram I received from Lextech. Still getting the error code.

I will admit, I had the blue ecm connector installed upside down on the 0411 initially. I have since corrected this, but still getting 0281.

I also have an Autopage aftermarket alarm with a starter disable relay. Would the alarm possibly be causing an issue with 0281 ?

Please help.

Thanks,
Mike

The 96 1500 should be a well documented swap. You're sure all the wiring is correct now? I'd triple check every pin.

I think there are probably others that have run the 0411 with remote start.

The truck turning over does not confirm the wiring is correct.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have checked the pins 4 times. I didn't label each wire when I repinned, but I did go one by one. Looking at the spreadsheet, all the wires are the correct color and in the correct location. The unused locations all match. On the black box, I had a blk/wht jumper wire, which I believe connected the C3-18 & C4-12 blackbox locations. My sprdsheet puts C3-18 at C2-1 on the 0411 (red connector). It has C4-12 going to C2-40, but says not all 96 trucks have the wire. Both the C2-1 & C2-40 locations are grounds, so I spliced both of them into the C1-1 location on the blue connector.

Per the sprdsheet, I'm showing to have Ignition Feed (12v switched) at 0411 locations C1-19 & C1-75. When I turn the key to run/on position, I get power (test light) at C1-19. I don't have power at C1-75 with ignition in run/on position. Last, sprdsheet says to tape a pink wire for blackbox C1-4 back into the harness. Says this is an ignition feed for charcoal canister from 1998 truck. This wire has power when I put key in run/on position.

Seems like I may have an issue with C1-75 not getting ignition feed. Am I on to something here ?

Thanks,
Mike

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you check the fuse for the PCM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, keep it simple stupid...ecm fuse. I guess I blew the ecm fuse when I put the blue connector on upside down. Never dawned on me. Thank you Bear 77 !!

I tried the prog tune first but got the 0540 code. Tried full tune next, and it seemed to flash in 100%. Will let you know when I get the truck running.

Thanks very much !
Mike

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is running and driving. Idles super smooth like everyone reports. It does need an update on the tune, but it is noticeably a different truck. Idles at 750rpm in Park, and 620rpm in gear. Can't tell its running.

I also blew the brake fuse on the side of the dash and had the ABS light come on, just fyi. I guess there is a reason there are fuses there...for guys like me.

Thanks again,
Mike

Bear 77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you got it up and running! Check the other fuses, just in case...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everything looks good otherwise, and functioning correctly. I took the truck out on the highway...WOW what a difference. The ecm is learning quickly, and truck is great to drive with the initial Blackbear tune. Night and day difference. Ready for more upgrades, like a cam and 24x ignition.