0411 swap issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chillin Dylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all. I’ve got a 97 454 5 speed 4x4 truck. I just bought the truck back in January. It’s a little crusty(-er than I thought, ugh) but it ran great. It has a new parts store crate motor in it, less than 6k miles. The only issue it had engine wise was a crank to cam sensor code. But it ran great, like rolling burnout in second gear great, so I didn’t mess with it.

I knew I wanted to put a towing cam in it, so I decided to go ahead and do the 0411 swap so I could tune it with my HPTuners when the time came. I’m a fairly experienced tuner. I worked with Lextech, got the wiring schematic, and a pre tuned ECU from him. Did the pinning, plugged in the ECU, and it’s been nothing but issues since.

I have checked and re checked, checked again, and re checked again my pins. They’re all correct. And I checked on different days too so I wasn’t in the zone with tunnel vision. The fueling is all wrong. It’s lean as **** sometimes and rich as hell others. It basically won’t idle by itself, won’t start without flooring the pedal to enable flood clear, it’s just all wrong. If I use my HPT scanner special functions to force closed loop learning, it runs MUCH better. Actually it runs almost well enough for the self learning to totally sort it out. It has the same crank to cam code, a crank position sensor code, and a MAF code ever since the ECU swap. Even if I could perform the crank re learn properly with it running so poorly, it won’t take because of the crank to cam code.

I’ve seen some guys loosening the distributor and basically turning it back and forth a little until the code doesn’t trip and then locking it down..? One guy showed drilling a damn hole in his distributor to look at the spark..... that seems like a terrible idea to have a hole near a live spark in the engine bay. As for the MAF code I have no idea, it wasn’t an issue before the swap, and I did nothing else besides the swap, and it all happened within a couple days.

Do you guys have any ideas? I’ve been in contact with lextech about it and we can’t figure it out. He went as far as sending me another pre tuned ECU to eliminate the possibility that the first ECU has a hardware issue internally. It made zero difference when I swapped the ECU to the second one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any chance your crate motor is a pos?

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings Chillin,

What are the O2 sensors reading like in open loop? I'm sure with it being erratic in the fueling that would be where I'd start. When I was tuning my Haltech 1500 ECU I was able to see the O2, crank and cam sensors live on my platform (completely different platform and vehicle) but with a 0411 ECU, do you have the luxury of live sensor readouts on your side?, or a live ignition map table? At least that's what I would expect on HP tuners. I haven't dabbled in that platform yet but I will in the near future with the OBS LS swaps I'm building for customers.

As for the cam sensor: Are you running the original distributor with the pick up inside the distributor?

Crank Sensor: Is the 4 tooth reluctor wheel and hall effect sensor the original one from the last engine?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ecu shows offset value for crank to cam. Distributor should be set for value to be 0 at 2k rpm. It will throw a code if offset greater than 6 or so degrees. And will run horrible

Last edited:

Chillin Dylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

Sorry for the late response. Kind of abandoned checking the thread after a couple days, and Tapatalk didn’t notify me of a reply until last night.

Anyway... run96, I seriously doubt the motor is a pos considering it ran perfectly before the swap like I mentioned........

BPR, I do have the ability to see live sensor data with my HPTuners, and it was a mess. As I mentioned, lean as hell sometimes and pig rich other times, with the only thing that would make it run better being commanding closer loop fueling. It was still rough with that on, but half ass drive-able.

Genie, I’m not sure exactly what you’re talking about with the crank to cam value.

Nielsen, I’ve checked all the fuses and everything is good.

All that said, I’m going to go a totally different route with this project. The 97 truck is actually way rustier than I initially thought, and my 95 is 99% rust free. I just went through and POR-15 coated the entire underside of the 95s body and the whole chassis. The motor and trans will be pulled out of the 97, and gotten ready to put in the 95. The 95 is also a stick shift 454 4x4. I don’t even remotely feel like going down the rabbit hole of TBI+OBD1-Vortec/OBD2 conversion. I’ve followed Andy’s thread on that for years and it’s definitely not something I want to take on myself. I will be going the Holley Sniper route to put the GEN VI 454 from the 97 into the 95.

I’ll keep the 0411 since I already unlocked it with my HPT, just in case I can use it in a future project. But, I won’t need it for this project. If I could delete this thread I would.