0411 initial tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

torhne

Reaction score
I have a 99 K1500 5.7L Vortec. I am sure its called an L31. BUT. I bought an 0411, have an OBDlink SX (slow, I know), and a bench harness. I want to figure out my first flash.
From what I read, I would be best getting a S10 BIN file with a 4l60E and 4wd and segment swap in the 5.7l part and remove the VAT stuff...

How far off am I? I am still looking to pin it and all that fun stuff, just planning.

EDIT: I AM AN IDIOT! I meant L31 :( So sorry!

Last edited:

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Base intitial tune would be from an 02’ express van with a 5.7 Vortec
He says he has an LS1 so a van tune won't work. Probably stay with an F body tune since it should be closest to what the op has already. I would take the current ecm pinot (assuming you have it, can't start without it) and compare to the pinouts for the 2002 camaro and 2002 silverado and see which one closest maps to what you have already and stay with that. The major differences will be egr, AC control, 4x4 control, and DBW between the two. But since you (presumably) already have a running F body tune in your older ecm likely much easier to stay with it on the new. If you in fact have an L31 and not a LS1 then van tune. But neither motor was available in the 1999 1500s so presumably a motor swap was made in the past.

I will say that I do not know the LS1. I converted my 1998 L31 to 24x so am familiar with the twos ecm pinouts but went with the 2002 silverado since it had the least difference (for hard wired io) and my conversion went without issue. But that was using an LM7 base. Here you already have an LS running (presumably) so I would think it best to stay with a tune already made for your motor and that's not an S10. It would be the 2002 camarro which had a LS1 option. But I am far from an expert so just my opinion.

Last edited:

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He says he has an LS1 so a van tune won't work. Probably stay with an F body tune since it should be closest to what the op has already. I would take the current ecm pinot (assuming you have it, can't start without it) and compare to the pinouts for the 2002 camaro and 2002 silverado and see which one closest maps to what you have already and stay with that. The major differences will be egr, AC control, 4x4 control, and DBW between the two. But since you (presumably) already have a running F body tune in your older ecm likely much easier to stay with it on the new. If you in fact have an L31 and not a LS1 then van tune. But neither motor was available in the 1999 1500s so presumably a motor swap was made in the past.

I will say that I do not know the LS1. I converted my 1998 L31 to 24x so am familiar with the twos ecm pinouts but went with the 2002 silverado since it had the least difference (for hard wired io) and my conversion went without issue. But that was using an LM7 base. Here you already have an LS running (presumably) so I would think it best to stay with a tune already made for your motor and that's not an S10. It would be the 2002 camarro which had a LS1 option. But I am far from an expert so just my opinion.

The first sentence says 5.7 Vortec‍

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

99 5.7L 1500s were in fact made. GM offered both the GMT400 and the GMT 800 body trucks in 99. My friend has a 99 K1500 with a 305 in it that came factory with a 9.5 SF rear and a 5spd.

When we 0411 swapped his truck, I used the base 305 van tune and segment swapped in a manual trans, 4×4 S10 trans segment.

GM also put 350s into GMT800 trucks. I have a couple of Green/Blue 1-meg PCM files for 350 powered mexican/ south american trucks. I have personally driven a 2002 GMT800 Tahoe with a factory 5.7L and 5 spd as well as a 98 Tahoe with a port injected 250 I6 (4100) and a 5spd.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
99 5.7L 1500s were in fact made. GM offered both the GMT400 and the GMT 800 body trucks in 99. My friend has a 99 K1500 with a 305 in it that came factory with a 9.5 SF rear and a 5spd.

When we 0411 swapped his truck, I used the base 305 van tune and segment swapped in a manual trans, 4×4 S10 trans segment.

GM also put 350s into GMT800 trucks. I have a couple of Green/Blue 1-meg PCM files for 350 powered mexican/ south american trucks. I have personally driven a 2002 GMT800 Tahoe with a factory 5.7L and 5 spd as well as a 98 Tahoe with a port injected 250 I6 (4100) and a 5spd.

You segment swapped the transmission to get 4lo? All the reading I've ever done suggests it's in the system segment. In EFILive the 4lo stuff isn't unlocked, so we start with an S10 tune then swap in the engine and trans segments along with the diagnostic segments. I've never done it, I generally only use 4lo for maneuvering with the camper and trailer so 1st is good enough.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You segment swapped the transmission to get 4lo? All the reading I've ever done suggests it's in the system segment. In EFILive the 4lo stuff isn't unlocked, so we start with an S10 tune then swap in the engine and trans segments along with the diagnostic segments. I've never done it, I generally only use 4lo for maneuvering with the camper and trailer so 1st is good enough.
Nearest I can tell it is in the trans segment.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The first sentence says 5.7 Vortec‍
The LS1 was based on vortec architecture so to call an LS1 a "5.7L Vortec" isn't technically incorrect. In the vernacular "5.7L Vortec" is understood to be a L31 but the op says he knows it to be an LS1. It is my understanding that the L31 continued only in the heavier than half tons beyond 1998 but I may be wrong. But if it was a stock L31 in a 1999 wouldn't it have a 411 already? I'm presuming his motor originates from a pre-1999 Corvette which is why he would have both an LS1 and a ecm he would want to upgrade to a 411. But if it's an LS1 he needs an LS based tune for it to work. If it's a L31 he would want a 1999-2002 xvan tune.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The LS1 was based on vortec architecture so to call an LS1 a "5.7L Vortec" isn't technically incorrect. In the vernacular "5.7L Vortec" is understood to be a L31 but the op says he knows it to be an LS1. It is my understanding that the L31 continued only in the heavier than half tons beyond 1998 but I may be wrong. But if it was a stock L31 in a 1999 wouldn't it have a 411 already? I'm presuming his motor originates from a pre-1999 Corvette which is why he would have both an LS1 and a ecm he would want to upgrade to a 411. But if it's an LS1 he needs an LS based tune for it to work. If it's a L31 he would want a 1999-2002 xvan tune.

It's a 350, you could get a GMT400 pickup in 99 (or a GMT800 with a 5.3) and the Tahoe Limited, Escalade, and Denali all lived on through 2000 with the 350 as well in 400 form. The LS architecture was a complete departure from the GenIE. The only Vortec thing about newer motors is that's what they kept calling them in the trucks. Only the vans got the 411, the trucks kept the newer blackbox from 98-00.

torhne

Reaction score
Start with a van tune? Should be just fine? Swap in a S10 segment about 4wd? I am nervous. I got my bench harness in today and have quite a few different bins I have been trying to make correct. I havent started the pinout swap yet. I did contact lextech about getting a pinout and base tune, but he said that he uses HPTuners I believe. I was wanting a BIN of some sort.

I am pretty handy with electronics, shouldnt be an issue there. Just want to make sure I can have some 4x4 in this coming winter. Its supposed to snow tomorrow here in MT.