04 Suburban 2500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen that's pretty normal, and I don't like it either. I have the same problem with the Dodge screw-in ball joints going into the Mustang II spindles on my Sunbeam Alpine. You can buy a 7° tapered reamer to make the socket larger so the ball-joint goes in deeper, but that's a $70 tool that you'll likely only use once.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I've seen that's pretty normal, and I don't like it either. I have the same problem with the Dodge screw-in ball joints going into the Mustang II spindles on my Sunbeam Alpine. You can buy a 7° tapered reamer to make the socket larger so the ball-joint goes in deeper, but that's a $70 tool that you'll likely only use once.
That's strange, i've never seen it like that before. I did just read that as long as the nut is threaded on enough to let the cotter pin slide through, that it will be ok. And i have them on there tighter than a virgins hoo haa. Unless it's just with certain brands of ball joints, i've always seen them without a gap on my own vehicles, as well as others I have worked on.

lance1391

Reaction score
The end is in sight, almost! I got new hubs on the spindles. Beating the old ones out was a pain. Only thing I am not happy about, is the ball joints. They came with the lift. They are Moog. I tightened them down pretty hard, and they will not go all the way in, as the bolt looks like it gets thicker at the top... Unless they are supposed to sit like that (which I highly doubt), i'll see about taking it to a shop once the truck is rolling so they can look into it.
You must be registered for see images attach

the ball joint is suppose to go on the bottom of the control arm

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got more work done today. The front calipers and rotors are on. Passenger extended brake line is on, got PB blaster soaking on the drivers side to get the old line off, gonna let that sit overnight and spray it again before i go to work.

Torsion bar drop, bars in.

Tie rods, centerlink and draglink in. The idler arm no longer needs to be used for this set up, so i'll end up removing it.

Attachments

• 20221027_200359.jpg
    20221027_200359.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 9

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ended up snapping the rear brake line, so i couldn't drive it this weekend. All I've got left is fix that brake line, alignment, balance tires, and make sure everything is tightened up.
Ended up also noticing that the impact bars from the cage to trans crossmember dont quite reach. i'm going to have to get some metal and fab up an extension so i can get the bars mounted in.

How it sits beside a basic sedan

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i got the rear brake line in, front brakes bled and jumped the truck since it was dead. It ran for a few minutes while i cleared stuff out of the way, then shut off. Jumper pack wasnt getting it started, so i figured it was the alternator.
Went and picked up a 145 amp as opposed to the 105 that was in it. Come to find out, i need the longer belt. Wish i had known that, more so when i was at the parts store.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the new belt on. Took it around the block, truck ran fine. Left it on the street, turned it off. Came back to move it...it idled in park then bogged down and shut off. Jump box on it, just crankin non stop. This morning sprayed some carb cleaner in it to see if it would run, sure enough it did for a few seconds then shut off. Fuel pump relay perhaps, pump is new. Crankshaft position sensor new...i'm at a loss here‍♂️ And yes, front end needs to be cranked down a little.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The culprit ended up being a loose ground wire just below the drivers door near the body mount. Sanded the contact points, and re tightened. Fixed.
Did some adjustments to the torsion bars and tie rods, but I may end up taking it to a shop to have the alignment professionally done, as well as get the tires balanced. Drove it around for a bit today. Found one of my cv axles has a tear, and flung grease everywhere, so I need to get a new one.
All that's really left looks wise is bumpers, some led pods etc. Other than that, she's pretty much done. Almost forgot, mount up the impact bars too.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This weekends chore (if not too rainy), will be getting some metal to make tabs for the impact bars.
Took a little ride in the woods by my house. It's not really a "trail", just an access road for the train tracks.

I couldn't dig in in the mud as deep as I wanted, as i am only in 2wd untill I take care of the front drive shaft.
Also ended up ordering the front bumper. Once it's paid off, i'm going to order the rear.