“CrewCad” Resto /Newstalgia 95 c3500 454 CCLB Dually thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I tried my hand at upholstery on some junk mirror sunvisors I got out of a 99 Denali.
they were grey and the fabric was literally falling apart, not just the backing,but the fabric itself was shredding, so I ripped it all off, disassembled them completely and sprayed them with the duplicolor tan (it’s too yellow but I can live with it for now and it was available locally).

You must be registered for see images attach

I couldn’t find any upholstery fabric that was even close to the same saddle brown as my current headliner (it’s been redone by PO or PPO) but at hobby lobby, I found this suede-ish fabric that had a layer of bonded “fluff” fabric on the reverse side… which could be peeled off where necessary and was a much better match color wise. The ones in there weren’t even the same material nor color, were a completely different tone of tannish beige.

used my cardboard backs which were in remarkably good shape and traced out a pattern adding and extra 3/4” around amd cut it out, then peeled back the fluff an inch and trimmed it.
this is where I made the mistake that later would bit me in the posterior. I trimmed it to fit the mirror opening on the cardboard…

not remembering or realizing that the cardboard opening is larger than the size of the mirror… so once finished when I went to go install the mirror back on I had a huge gap around it.

ah well, I’ll get another yard tomorrow and, having learned my lesson, simply not cut the mirror opening until i have the mirror pressed in. this way I can cut as little as possible.

but having sun visors that actually stay up is the ultimate goal since I don’t have power connections in the roof to be able to use the lights. And the work truck ones have no spring loading or clip… they are literally just a friction fit tube So on every big bump, they fall down. these won’t and they are going to be so plush and nice feeling when I’m done.

This is for anyone who is retaining the old style visors.

The trick to those friction fit visors is to take the whole visor and rod as a unit to a bench, wrap it in a clean towel, place a chunk of 2x4 over the rod and whack the cr@p out of the 2x4. Reinstall and now use two hands to move the visors.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
I can see how that would work! Cept when I took mine apart the tubes were about half fatigue spit down their length, so they were on last legs. Bad enough that I just tossed em in the bin,

And wrong colored.
And no wife mirror.
so all in all I’m happy I switched over. :)

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
junkyard has had a 99 grey interior Denali for sale complete or just front clip for sale for a couple weeks now, same one I got the visors from. The T&C console just wasnt working out so I went and got the denali center console w/ sub out of it along with the EC mirror and mirror pigtail.

so as not to duplicate posts, I’m going to link my center console post from the interior thread here.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
No I didn’t, but the interior is in bad bad shape. On.y thing worth taking interior wise is the overhead console, and perhaps the cluster. even the steering column was thrashed, and I could see most of the seat brackets thru the shreds of leather and foam that remained. Of the seats.I literally touched the visors and the actual fabric was disintegrating which is why it was so easy to strip them for recovering, lol.

the mirrors and front clip are in ok-good condition, door panels are ok-good, but we had to pull all the electronics out of the console to not get charged extra for them For example.

if you search Denali on El Paso Craigslist, they are the only result.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
No I didn’t, but the interior is in bad bad shape. On.y thing worth taking interior wise is the overhead console, and perhaps the cluster. even the steering column was thrashed, and I could see most of the seat brackets thru the shreds of leather and foam that remained. Of the seats.I literally touched the visors and the actual fabric was disintegrating which is why it was so easy to strip them for recovering, lol.

the mirrors and front clip are in ok-good condition, door panels are ok-good, but we had to pull all the electronics out of the console to not get charged extra for them For example.

if you search Denali on El Paso Craigslist, they are the only result.
You need to get that cluster if it's still there. Even if you don't want to have a 120 mph speedo, there's plenty of people who will give decent bucks for one. They go for $100-150 online..... that's the first thing people yank on the few Esky and Denali that hit the yards in Houston....

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
All those niceties and customization... and you're still sporting a cracked windshield. Nice.

Bless your little heart! Yep, I am.
It’s not getting changed till I decide to do it cause it isn’t safety/ functionally critical nor a “I have to take this part Q off to do to do list item C so I might as well also do j r and w while I’m there so I only have to do this pain in the ass disassembly job once.” scenario either.

Until 3 weeks ago the focus was to get it safe and functional and then registered.

it’ll get done when it gets done.

please don’t look any closer, as seeing the true horrors of what lies under 30 year old carpets, panels and paint of a neglected amd abandoned truck may be too much for your gentle spirit and eyes to take. Much less seeing the horrors of 3 decades of POs ideas of what constituted good electrical work... “if it only shorts out occasionally or only might burn the truck down… it’s good.”
*cuts and leaves unfused live wires floating around under carpets, Frame rails, underhood & in doors or dash*

as of today It’s official, I is officially a certifiEd lunatic.
I mean CrewCad is officially recognized as a classic truck.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
You need to get that cluster if it's still there. Even if you don't want to have a 120 mph speedo, there's plenty of people who will give decent bucks for one. They go for $100-150 online..... that's the first thing people yank on the few Esky and Denali that hit the yards in Houston....
IIIRC it was high miles and sun faded and I already have a good condition one so I didn’t look closely at it.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bless your little heart! Yep, I am.
It’s not getting changed till I decide to do it cause it isn’t safety/ functionally critical nor a “I have to take this part Q off to do to do list item C so I might as well also do j r and w while I’m there so I only have to do this pain in the ass disassembly job once.” scenario either.

Until 3 weeks ago the focus was to get it safe and functional and then registered.

it’ll get done when it gets done.

please don’t look any closer, as seeing the true horrors of what lies under 30 year old carpets, panels and paint of a neglected amd abandoned truck may be too much for your gentle spirit and eyes to take. Much less seeing the horrors of 3 decades of POs ideas of what constituted good electrical work... “if it only shorts out occasionally or only might burn the truck down… it’s good.”
*cuts and leaves unfused live wires floating around under carpets, Frame rails, underhood & in doors or dash*

as of today It’s official, I is officially a certifiEd lunatic.
I mean CrewCad is officially recognized as a classic truck.

Don't bless me. Bless the woke state of PA that would NEVER pass inspection on a windshield that is cracked like that. Otherwise, nice truck and good luck with it :)