“CrewCad” Resto /Newstalgia 95 c3500 454 CCLB Dually thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Ok then. I read a condescending attitude in your response that might have been unintended and responded in kind. For that I will apologize.

Texas doesn’t care about cracks, and frankly this One being vertical isn’t negatively affecting my vision so not an immediate concern.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes from what I have read on here, Pennsylvania has a VERY stringent DOT exam compared to most of the US. I had the windshield replaced on my Burb in November because it was leaking at the top; to fix this they'd have to remove the glass so why not? It was cracked all the way across, and right at eye level too. Rawhide's windshield is cracked on the passenger side, but it doesn't leak so I'm not worried about it till it does leak, or it won't pass inspection. FYI when you get to the point of replacing the windshield, you may have to wait for one, they seem to be in short supply now.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Lol. My parents think it is odd they even have a safety inspection in TX! MS doesn’t have any inspection at all… Ever.

and if I registered it as Antique instead of classic I wouldn’t even have inspections here. But I wanted the personalized plate so I’m willing to pay the $7 to get inspected every year.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Lol. My parents think it is odd they even have a safety inspection in TX! MS doesn’t have any inspection at all… Ever.

and if I registered it as Antique instead of classic I wouldn’t even have inspections here. But I wanted the personalized plate so I’m willing to pay the $7 to get inspected every year.
Yup Rawhide is eligible for the "classic"plates so he will get those. And I love the $7 inspection instead of the $40 for the Burb....next year he'll be old enough for classic truck plates too.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Well I now know why the hvac mode doesnt change… the entire mode motor/actuator is completely missing. Recirculate amd blend work fine and the mechanism turns easily by hand, so I guess I will be looking for a 4 seasons actuator on ye olde eBay soon.

I also picked up a center 2 pin Delphi thermosensor from NAPA to see if I can start getting this thing running better and consuming less fuel. 4MPG is getting ridiculous as is the 900 rpm idle.
im guessing the code 36 is either that, map, or possible iac though it seems to hold idle just fine with no load issues, has faster idle when stone cold etc.

it looks stone original so figured I’d start there.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I have everything I can registered as an antique (rock crawler, drag truck, burban etc) 5 year tag and no inspection!! They never even pay attention, heck i haven’t had a registration sticker on the window of my work truck in three years.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Well, I have over 140 miles on this tank, and still have over 1/4 tank to go… where as my prior use over many many tanks in the last 2 months was about 120miles (about 30gallons) off a 33 gallon tank… and the first 20miles were before I changed the center thermosensor (near thermostat) for the computer so I would have still been getting 4mpg.
im gonna call that a win and a success.

for anyone in the future doing one, I got the Delphi sensor from Napa (comes with red thread paste already on it) and used a 19mm deep well socket to install. Power was better, or seemed to be.

I did have a scary moment coming back from the west side of town Friday night on the freeway (vs going over the mountain) at about 77mph a few hours after I changed the sensor… the temp gauge started hummingbirding between normal amd pegged full hot, which triggered the check gauges light as well, but nothing seemed to be wrong, heat good power good no smell, etc etc, so I slowed and exited. Once I did, it jumped right back to normal. I was able to trigger the hummingbird once more with full throttle high rpm… the next day I found the sensor wire was resting on the manifold amd moved It and had no further so I am assuming that it grounded itself due to load and air pressure under hood, and will replace the wire with a new automotive grade wire, amd see if I can make some sort of support bracket to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
I didn’t wait for it to be empty, put in 25 gallons after 160 miles and a lot of sitting around idling. First 20 were at a known 4 mpg before the sensor Change. so that leaves 140 miles amd 20 gallons used after so about 7mpg estimated for now, including at least 2 hours of just idling at a cruise-in night show.

I don’t think this Dang thing is anywhere near the supposed 135k, especially judging by the brake pedal pad wear. Maybe 230k, lol.

Still not great (I’ve been used to about 32 city and 45-50 freeway), but it’s almost double the miles per gallon by just taking 10 minutes to change a $30 part so that’s a win for me. ificould get 9-10 that would be about as good as I’ve ever heard of a tbi 7.4 ever getting in a truck this big. Dad used to get about 10-12 in the 99 vortec 7.4. *and it was a single cab long bed srw!*
have check engine light back on after a few days…. So need to see what codes I get This time. I was getting codes 36 and 54 Before.

edit. Actually, because Speedo is 10% low in OD, 140 pm trip meter is actually 154 Miles. So that is actually 7.7mpg estimated, not bad at all.

Last edited:

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
You should be able to get close to 300 miles from a tank.
i Need to cause otherwise it can never leave town. I’m actually used to only stopping for fuel two times tween here and my folks house 1200 miles away for the last 25 years. Not 9 times! I’m not sure if in some places there are fuel stations less than 120 miles apart.