‘97 5.7 Auto Dress Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback, opinions, ideas, and/or **** talkin responses…lol
When I get my engine back from the machine shop I’m wanting to go with something other than just the factory GM style valve covers but I don’t wanna order some off the internet just to find out that they are poorly made crap…and also some quality spark plug/wiring loom bracket type set ups…
Just want something to make the engine look nice and clean when I open the hood…
I know some of y’all out there are proud and wouldn’t mind showing of what setups y’all have so pics are welcomed!
Thanks,
Shane

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used valve covers I found from a speed shop in TN online. Very good quality with baffles and reinforcement ribs under the bolts. OEM wire looms are the best that I have found, just picked up new plastic retainers from GM. I run a Davis Unified coil and module. Taylor Thunderbolt wires with LT1 aluminum heat shields on the plug ends. Also a MSD cap and rotor with brass terminals. I painted the lower with high temp engine paint and the upper with plastic paint after applying an adhesion promoter. The valve covers required a little clearence grinding on the compressor bracket and thick washers under the bolts. I now run a smaller diameter Sanden replacement compressor, stock compressor may require thick washers under the compressor for added clearence, wouldn't know as I have not used the belly leakers since 2006 when Valeo introduced a nice inexpensive alternative. I cleaned my brackets in my heated ultrasonic cleaner and painted them with titanium engine paint. Picture I have was prior to clearencing, cleaning and painting the compressor bracket. I have coated March Underdrive pulleys. Also have a silicone radiator hose set in red and hps silicon heater hoses. My intake ducting is black silicone. I feel kinda crazy for detailing a van engine, but it does look good when the engine cover is off.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These power products ones look the same. On the van I had to hole saw an extra hole to be able to use the existing hole for the oil fill tube but they had bosses for the PCV baffles on both ends of the covers. They fit narrow body roller rockers and poly locks with 2" OD double springs, longer rocker studs and 0.100" longer valves without rubbing. The fit is tight but they do fit.

Last edited:

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
These power products ones look the same. On the van I had to hole saw an extra hole to be able to use the existing hole for the oil fill tube but they had bosses for the PCV baffles on both ends of the covers. They fit narrow body roller rockers and poly locks with 2" OD double springs, longer rocker studs and 0.100" longer valves without rubbing. The fit is tight but they do fit.

Nice and Clean! I’ll prolly end up going with the same black & red color scheme with mine but I am also leaning towards going with a lot of old school Chevy Orange…

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just run factory parts. Degrease sand and paint them. Paint the engine the intake etc and keep it clean. To me nothing says pride as a factory style engine bay. Spend the money in stuff that makes a difference

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I used valve covers I found from a speed shop in TN online. Very good quality with baffles and reinforcement ribs under the bolts. OEM wire looms are the best that I have found, just picked up new plastic retainers from GM. I run a Davis Unified coil and module. Taylor Thunderbolt wires with LT1 aluminum heat shields on the plug ends. Also a MSD cap and rotor with brass terminals. I painted the lower with high temp engine paint and the upper with plastic paint after applying an adhesion promoter. The valve covers required a little clearence grinding on the compressor bracket and thick washers under the bolts. I now run a smaller diameter Sanden replacement compressor, stock compressor may require thick washers under the compressor for added clearence, wouldn't know as I have not used the belly leakers since 2006 when Valeo introduced a nice inexpensive alternative. I cleaned my brackets in my heated ultrasonic cleaner and painted them with titanium engine paint. Picture I have was prior to clearencing, cleaning and painting the compressor bracket. I have coated March Underdrive pulleys. Also have a silicone radiator hose set in red and hps silicon heater hoses. My intake ducting is black silicone. I feel kinda crazy for detailing a van engine, but it does look good when the engine cover is off.

I like that painted intake a lot, I’ll have to do that on my 97.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just run factory parts. Degrease sand and paint them. Paint the engine the intake etc and keep it clean. To me nothing says pride as a factory style engine bay. Spend the money in stuff that makes a difference
I had to spend money on valve covers to clear the valve train or else mine would still have the GM steel centerbolts.