‘95 cab and chassis donor for ‘97

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brothajack93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, after a lot of shopping and asking questions for options I have been left with basically 2 options for my build. I have a ‘97 ecsb 305/4l60e that’s completely rotted. I found a flawless southern roller chassis already por15 coated and a minimal rust cab as well. Issue is it’s ‘95 and I don’t know all the different compatibility issues I could face. It is pretty bare bones though so I’m hoping I can bypass a few of them. Here are my concerns and would like to hear of any I miss
-vortec compatibility?
-is obd2 possible without much headache?
-how to tell if I’m an ac compatible cab?
- basically any options, trim packages or upgrades that will not be easily done and possible solutions if any

I’m pretty certain I’m good in the chassis and suspension department. My only concern is the drivetrain and options compatibility/limitations in regards to the cab itself. Should I find a 96-98 cab or tbi drives train or should it be a pretty smooth swap? Although not much is good on the ‘97 I do have access to parts of all types and from all regions so if it’s not too much headache I can make it work with what I have especially with it being so clean compared to what we see around here and will be perfect for my frame up restoration. Learning all kinds of stuff about these trucks along the way and am hoping to be ready with everything I need to get my hands dirty in the spring and hopefully even get some prep work done sooner if I can talk my boss into giving me some shop space to do a few things before then

Brothajack93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I may have figured the ac out myself but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. I misunderstood what I was told in another thread and assumed ac compatibility to be a cab thing when it’s in fact a module/wiring thing so should not be an issue so long as I can use my ‘97 wiring and interior. This is why I ask these questions while making a note of saying that donor is bare bones! Least I was able to find some info on that though and I hope this helps someone else looking at that specific issue

dzynda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you found much information or is there another thread on this?
I have a 97 ecsb 2500 454 no third door, the interior including dash wiring everything good but the cab is very rotten. I just found an 88-94 extended cab in good shape for $250 cab only and wondering if it will work for my 97.
Thank you