‘95 5.7 runs poorly when warm. I’m reducing myself to being a parts-changer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘95 K1500. I wish I had access to an OBD-1 scanner but I do not.

As you may remember I bought this truck about a month ago after it had sat for twelve years. 119k miles. It was parked because it had no power on acceleration. And it still does not. It idles smoothly but stumbles like crazy when trying to get up to speed. I can get it up to freeway speeds and it runs smoothly with or without cruise control, but just has issues accelerating at any speed.

A new battery, fuel pump, and fuel filter got it running. I’ve discovered that the poor performance only manifests itself once the engine has been running for at least 20 to 30 minutes. So I figure it’s not so much of a closed-loop issue as it is a heat-soak issue.

Luckily these engines have very few components on them so I figure that, with the mileage on the truck and considering how long it sat idle, nothing I replace will be money wasted.

I’ve changed plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. No change, although all were in desperate need of replacement. Surprisingly, the fuel injectors have a very nice spray pattern. No vacuum leaks that I can find.

Today I’m going to throw a new coil on it. If that doesn’t work I’ll try a new MAP sensor. Next up will be an oxygen sensor. The TPS SEEMS to be operating correctly even when it is running poorly, but if nothing else works I’ll try that too.

Anything I’m missing here? (Besides the obvious step of actually buying an OBD-1 scanner)

I have been working on cars for 50 years and this is the first time I’ve ever resorted to just throwing parts at one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GAWD DO I KNOW THE FEELING!
I hope your parts cannon treats you nicer than mine has treated me. Today mine is getting a new dizzy. I believe it's the last part i have not changed.

Ron K

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a known good coolant temp sensor? There may be 2 of them, I can't remember. One of them let's ECM know it's up to temp. Kind of like driving around with your choke on. Worth a try...

Good luck!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
What about module and coil? Electronic parts often act up once they're warm. Also how new is fuel pump? Does it make and hold good pressure? Fuel pressure regulator is separate on the TBI....
My only TBI truck ran great till the fuel pump croaked. Then it sat too long with the motor apart, before I could try to get it running again. That's why I don't have it anymore....

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know you said you replaced the fuel pump but your symptoms really sound like a fuel issue. Maybe get a fuel pressure gage and check running pressure after first starting and then after it has run for awhile. Perhaps a bad fuel pressure regulator

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you said you replaced the fuel pump but your symptoms really sound like a fuel issue. Maybe get a fuel pressure gage and check running pressure after first starting and then after it has run for awhile. Perhaps a bad fuel pressure regulator
Seemed like fueling to me also. But the pump is putting out good pressure. I’ll have to plumb in an adapter to check the pressure regulator. Thank you.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about module and coil? Electronic parts often act up once they're warm. Also how new is fuel pump? Does it make and hold good pressure? Fuel pressure regulator is separate on the TBI....
My only TBI truck ran great till the fuel pump croaked. Then it sat too long with the motor apart, before I could try to get it running again. That's why I don't have it anymore....
Coil is going in shortly. Dunno how I missed considering the module. That’ll be next if the coil doesn’t do it. Thank you.