‘94 z71 Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got this guy earlier this week. Mechanically in excellent condition, just a few cosmetic and body work issues to work out.

There are quite a few small things I have to take care of and of course a re-paint which will hopefully start this weekend.

Keep an eye out for pics and a few videos here and there. Great forum, lots of info!
You must be registered for see images attach

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In prep for paint and spray in bedliner, removing some trim (WITHOUT A HEAT GUN). This worked great and there is absolutely NO scratches from this method.

Body trim removal using steel wire.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew the original primer/paint bond sucked but DANG! This stuff flakes of like crazy!

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bed panels and tailgate are being prepped for filler and primer, inside bed is almost prepped for primer and Raptor liner. Hope to have paint on the bed and bedliner finished in the next few days.

Going close to factory white. “Pure White” from Summit with clear.

Last edited:

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, not so uneventful today. Got around to the rear right bed panel today and started working on what I thought was just more chipped paint, turns out it was cracking body filler [emoji20] Had to wire brush most of it out and replace it.

Finished around the tail light today and finished prepping the tailgate. This definitely pushes me back a few days on paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Epoxy primer going down first thing in the a.m.

Bed sides are finished and cleaned. Hope to get the ass end of this thing back white with my Raptor liner in the bed and the wheel wells by the early part of next week. This process will start tomorrow morning.

Turned out there was WAY more filler back there than I thought. When I started the last blocking to even out the filler I replaced, I discovered a lot more. There was WAY more than necessary.

I ended up chewing a bunch of it out with some 40 grit on the DA then smoothing from there. It is MUCH closer to the original lines now that I closely compare each side.

All this nonsense ended up taking about 3 extra days than I planned. It probably will not be a $10,000 paint job, but it won’t be peeling and it will be protected. Fingers crossed ...

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stumbled on a really cool way to clean the bed out.

I wet the bed down good and used a grill grate scrubber, which has a handle and a rough pad similar to a red scotch brite, and some ZEP 505 Cleaner/Degreaser to get the grime out. Rinse it well as you go. Then hit every inch and crack with a 60 grit sanding sponge to rough it up. I may actually scrub it with some 80 grit and wipe it with lacquer thinner before coating, but the mentioned process cleaned it very very well.

Before:

This stuff pretty much melted the nasty green buildup and gunk right out. The grill scrubber made quick work of it.

After:

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 coats of Epoxy primer shot today. High build going on tomorrow.

So glad to see white again that filler was driving me nuts.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the white was short lived ... Primered.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only got an hour or so in on the guide coat. Looking like I’m going to get to put another coat of epoxy on, wasn’t paying attention, got into the metal in just a few spots :( ...

On the bright side, the areas where I did my body work blocked out almost perfect on this side.