‘91 Scottsdale Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Since I’ve had this radiator I had it secured with wire so I finally got around to fabricating some brackets. I made these out of stainless steel and just punched the holes that corresponded to where the old bracket once was. The fasteners I got from Oreillys and they hold the radiator down securely. I put some rubber on the back of the brackets to cushion them to the radiator and to muffle any rattling that may come from the metal to metal contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

July 21, 2020
Installing a transmission cooler for safe measure. I don’t plan to tow anything in this truck but I figure it’s still good for the transmission so it’s worth a go.
The cooler kit cost $35 @ Summit Racing, and the fittings cost $15

I don’t plan on running AC in this truck so I slapped the cooler right in front of the radiator. I mounted it right in front of where the fan is so it’ll keep things nice and cool.

Here it is with the lines plumbed and ready to go. I ran the lines through where the AC lines were at so there’s plenty of space.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that bracket looks like a finger-slicer. Please do yourself a favor and debur those edges!

I don’t plan on running A/C in this truck so I slapped the cooler right in front of the radiator.
If you're not running AC, solder a piece of smaller tubing into the big tube on the A/C condenser and use it for your transmission cooler. You'll have a super-sized transmission cooler that has factory mounts!

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

July 21, 2020
Installing a transmission cooler for safe measure. I don’t plan to tow anything in this truck but I figure it’s still good for the transmission so it’s worth a go.
The cooler kit cost $35 @ Summit Racing, and the fittings cost $15

I don’t plan on running AC in this truck so I slapped the cooler right in front of the radiator. I mounted it right in front of where the fan is so it’ll keep things nice and cool.

Here it is with the lines plumbed and ready to go. I ran the lines through where the AC lines were at so there’s plenty of space.

I would suggest getting rid of those nylon mounting rods and fabbing something else. Those can fail with vibrations over time. Angle and/or flat strap would work well for a trans cooler mount.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
July 30th, 2020

A before pic, I picked up a roll pan for really cheap so I went ahead and removed this big old bumper. This thing is a lot heavier than I thought, and any unnecessary weight I can get rid of is a win. This truck isn’t going to be a real race truck but I draw inspiration from drag racing so I’m removing any weight it doesn’t need.

Here it is with the roll pan installed, I have a friend who is going to weld it on the sides for me this weekend. I removed the tailgate as well and will be installing a net. Tail lights are next [emoji106]

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was time to get rid of this beat up grill, and while I was there I decided I wanted a cleaner look so I found a smoothie bumper for cheap and ordered a grill on eBay which came in really fast. The picture above is how the truck has always looked since I got it.

Here’s the new updated look. I decided to stay with the older 88-92 grill because it just looks a lot cleaner than the later version that everyone seems to have. I went and freshened up the headlights and bought new parking light and covers. Just by swapping out the front end it looks like a completely different truck.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Went and got new taillights too, these are from a company called Spyder and they’re LED. I saw some similar to these on a truck that’s near my house and fell in love with how they look at night, I think it’s a tasteful upgrade from the stock ones without being too flashy or looking out of place.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

One thing I have never really liked was the plastic bed liner. I’ve never liked it in this truck or any truck really. So I knew eventually I was going to line it. Here’s the bed after it’s been sanded and cleaned. I went with a Herculiner kit that was on sale at my local parts store. The kit cost me 60 bucks. I first power washed the bed, then sanded it with 120 grit sandpaper, then washed it again and let it dry. The trick is to make sure that you mix the liner because all the thick chunky stuff settles at the bottom, so to get it even both coats you need to constantly mix and mix. Also if you’re planning on doing this yourself, WEAR GLOVES!
I made the mistake of not wearing any gloves or a shirt and it’s been 3 days that I still have it on my hands and torso. It’s not fun trying to get it off. Learn from my mistake.

Here it is after I finished the second coat. It’s been a couple days now since I did it and it’s still as shiny, which I don’t mind at all but I think it’ll eventually dull out a bit over time. Overall this was a good learning experience, and it will take all day from morning to evening to get a good result. Patience here is key, you don’t want to rush through the prep because then it won’t stick, or rush to do a second coat because if the surface is still tacky you’re gonna be sticking all over the place, possibly damaging the liner. Im happy with the results I have and I believe it makes the truck look much cleaner.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s some prices for reference that I might’ve failed to mention above.
New Grill from eBay: $150
New Parking light covers: $25
New LED Taillights: $120
Smoothie Bumper: $30
Herculiner kit: $80 retail ($60 discounted)
New bulbs: $30 (both parking and turn signal lights)

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shocks are the next upgrade, I was looking for an upgrade that wouldn’t break the bank so I did some research and settled on KYBs Gas-A-Just shocks.

I didn’t anticipate how stiff they actually were, and I made the mistake of cutting one of the straps before installing. These suckers are STIFF, I had to wait until my brother got home so that he could compress is just barely enough so that I could slide the bolt in to secure it.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY CHEAP SHOCKS. My high school teacher would always stress buying a quality item over something that’s unreasonably cheap and that’s what I did here. I bought the cheapest shocks at advanced auto and they didn’t even last 8 months. The front shocks stay fully collapsed and if you zoom in you can see that one of them even had broken off. Luckily I was already replacing them but I’ll never make the mistake of cheaping out unnecessarily on stuff anymore.

Overall I really like how the truck feels now, I know it still had to settle in but the difference is very noticeable and the truck doesn’t feel like it’s sluggish anymore. Next thing to tackle will be replacing cab mounts because those have been on their way out for a long time.