‘91 Scottsdale Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

When I first found this truck it was a roller, my brother is obsessed with buying things he sees potential in and when I first saw it I failed to see the vision. It sat with a sagging driver side door, no motor, busted grill, and no back bumper.

Eventually out of necessity I came around to it and asked how much he wanted for it. He said to help him put a motor in it and we could talk about that later. Then the task became putting a motor in it. We sourced a baby 4.3l V6 from another ‘91 pick up and mated it to a 700r4. Once all in, and once we plugged in all the harnesses and everything else, she came alive. She sputtered and struggled, but it was the first time I had helped make anything mechanical work and I was smitten by the feeling.

This was then the beginning of the journey. It was February 2019 & unbeknownst to me, id spend the next year working on it. The following will be a log of the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Immediately the first things that were done to it were basic tune up stuff. Fuel filter was changed, motor flush was put in and oil changed was done, radiator looked like it was relatively new but I still flushed it and put in new coolant. A new distributor rotor and cap were put on, new plugs and wires were also installed. A new belt was also installed and it ran relatively okay after. New shocks were installed all around as well because the old ones were shot. A trip to the junkyard found the truck with a back bumper, and a new front bumper with a valence. More and more it was looking like an actual vehicle instead of a junker

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the month of April, problems started to occur. First, the flex plate had cracked so a new one had to be put on. As someone who at the time had zero experience with dropping a transmission it was a bit overwhelming. But after a weekend the flex plate was replaced and the truck was running again. When putting everything back together, I failed to put back the seal for the tv cable, this would later come back to bite my in the ass.

For the next 2 months I struggled with electrical issues. The TBI system is to some easy to understand but to a novice it was a nightmare. Day after day sensors were tested, the EGR valve was replaced and the old one was clogged, the TBI assembly was also disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled. Still, high idle issues and hesitation issues plagued me constantly. At the very same time this was all happening, a slow but steady transmission leak was happening. I figured that once I got the truck to idle okay I’d tackle that next.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In June I had had enough and decided to convert the truck to carb. My brother had done this previously on his ‘84 Corvette so I had a guide to how the swap could be done.

First I had to find a manifold for a V6, online they could be bought for upwards of $200, but being a college student and being generally broke I looked locally. A gentleman in Sherman had one for sale, so to Sherman I went. Immediately after a list of needed supplies was made, the following is what I can immediately remember buying for the conversion.

-Generic HEI Distributor ~$60
-Tachometer ~$45
-Fuel Pressure Regulator ~$30
-500 CFM EDELBROCK carb ~$300
-Intake Manifold Gaskets ~$20
-Air Cleaner ~$30
-Fuel Hose ~$30
-In-line Fuel Filter ~$5
-Barb fittings ~$10
-Clamps ~$20
-Intake Manifold ~$120
-Throttle & Tv Cable bracket ~$60
-Fuel Pressure Gauge ~$20

Manifold was then swapped, fuel lines were converted to rubber hoses and regulator was installed and set to 6 psi. Distributor was set with 12 degrees initial timing. I couldn’t find much information about how much timing to run for a V6 so we experimented with it until we felt it was nice and snappy.

Before it actually ran; however, we struggled to find top dead center. The timing mark on the harmonic balancer itself was way off, so we put some straws in the spark plug hole until it reached its highest point and marked the balancer with a new albeit roughly estimated TDC. Once we set the distributor with this new position in mind it fired right up. And once again the feeling I had when it ran for the first time ever came rushing back. This time it was a more intense feeling of accomplishment, having had no real prior mechanical experience to then obsessing over getting a motor to run to then actually seeing it run was such a monumental moment and feeling.

Afterwards my brother taught me to tune the carb using a vacuum gauge to get the best vacuum, and told me when to tune it and about how timing works. My knowledge and understanding of how a motor works after this was then becoming more and more ingrained. the motor then ran perfectly and more consistently since I was in control of how it operated. Having a motor that just worked was definitely a nice feeling, but now I wanted more. The V6 wasn’t much of a goer, in fact if you tried to send it it would take its sweet time doing so. I knew it had to have a proper V8 in it, something a young respectful person could do some respectful burnouts in. After all this is Texas, and we do it big. I then turned my eyes to looking for a 350 motor. An argument could be made for swapping an LS into it, but I wanted to go with an engine that was more period correct for an OBS. School however got in the way and for the rest of 2019 the truck sat with a V6 in it.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
During this entire time (March-ish - July/August) the transmission leaked
Slowly
But it definitely leaked
Then came the shifting issues
It would sometimes shift hard
And sometimes it would shift meekly
But it was always leaking
So bottles of Tranny fluid were kept on deck

Eventually, I figured out where the leak was originating from, the TV cable hole! So a new seal was bought and I waited for it to come in, and once it came in in it went.
The only problem was that in trying to put it in, it wouldn’t seat properly, so in frustration I dropped the pan, and lo and behold the original seal was caught in the linkage that goes attached to the TV cable. So I went to buy a new filter and gasket since the pan was already dropped. Once it was all buttoned back up suddenly the shifting was neither late nor early. These transmissions are real particular about how much fluid they like so finding that balance was tricky but once i got it it shifted fine. This took me countless quarts of fluid to learn but hey, it’s all a learning experience

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The V8 that was to soon be in the truck was originally from a 1984 Corvette. My brother had already done most of the work for me but since I was going to put a different cam in it we tore it down so that only the crank and pistons were still connected to the block. Before we pulled the motor we tested all the cylinders and we got solid pressure from all cylinders.

Once out, we stripped it of the accessories since he would eventually need those once he gets around to sourcing and building his own engine.

The cam I decided to go with is the Comp Cams 12-206-2. From what I could research it was the most aggressive cam I could put without having to upgrade the torque converter and without having to sacrifice too much vacuum. I wasn’t looking for something that was too radical nor something that I would have to be in a higher RPM range to notice. So this cam is a happy medium for me. The following are the specs from comp cams about this particular cam:
Intake/Exhaust Duration @ 050 inch lift -212
Intake valve lift w/ stock rocker arm ratio -0.440 inch
Exhaust valve lift w/ stock rocker arm ratio -0.440 inch
Lobe Separation -110 degrees

Along with the new cam, a new timing chain set and lifters were installed.

Here’s a mock up of what it would eventually become. The 2 piece rear main seal was replaced, a high volume, standard pressure oil pump was installed, oil pan gasket was replaced with a one piece rubber fel pro one, freeze plugs were replaced, and pretty much every other gasket that isn’t the head gaskets were replaced with one from a summit kit.
I’m blessed to live so close to Summit Racing that I can drive there on a regular basis and get pretty much anything I need. They really have come in clutch during this entire build for pretty much everything. I decided to paint it chevy Orange to give it a classic look, but sorta got lazy with everything else lol
I have some Vortec heads I’m gonna install on them later once I can find an intake manifold that’s cheap so that’s why I skipped over painting the heads. The pan is painted black and the valve covers are from the corvette and I kept them black with the corvette emblems on them as a homage to where the motor came from.

Here it is on the day we broke in the cam. The headers wouldn’t clear from the bottom since the engine stand sits real low so we flipped them and ran it that way. After a successful break in the engine sat for a couple of days until I could clean the engine bay on the truck.
Overall from what I had learned on the V6 motor this time it was much easier to get the motor to turn over and to get it in time. It was definitely an experience to swap the cams and to clean all the parts. Honesty half of this build is cleaning parts, Bottles of brakes parts cleaner and degreaser have gone into making sure the motor that went into the truck is in as good of shape as a motor can be.

Next the search to buy headers was on. I opted for some shorty headers. here they are once I had stripped them of their original paint, painted them with ceramic high temp header paint, and wrapped them to keep the inside of the engine bay cool and to keep down the heat since these run really close to both the fuel lines and the transmission fluid lines. This was my first time wrapping headers and it was definitely a good experience. I’m very happy with how they turned out and the difference in engine bay temp is night and day. The headers are Flowtech Brand that cost ~180 and the wrap is from amazon. I saved ~35 dollars buying the wrap online versus at summit or at a local auto parts.

As my neighbors know, having open headers is ridiculously loud, especially when you’re still in the midst of tuning the engine and getting the transmission to shift properly. So soon after the engine was installed I took it to the local muffler shop and had them install my exhaust system. I’m assuming when most guys take their cars or trucks to have a full exhaust put on they opt to get something loud like Flowmaster 40s put on, so when I told the guy I want it “quiet” he looked sorta confused. They put on some Flowmaster FX mufflers and I’m content with the noise level. There is some drone inside the cab but it’s not really bad once you gas it. The exhaust is dumped before the axle, I had it done this way for maintenance reasons, so if and when I have to drop the exhaust I can do so without much fuss and headache.

Going from a V6 to the 5.7, cooling needed to be stepped up. So I went out and bought the radiator that the 5.7 trucks came with and got this fan set up from a Z28 Camaro. Those come with the same size radiator so this fit exactly to the radiator I had bought. It keeps the engine at a nice 170 degrees and not a smidge above. These are wired through a relay and are wired to a switch that’s connected to the head on the passenger side so they cut on once the motor reaches operating temp.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The following are also the parts that were already on the motor itself that I kept after transferring it from the Corvette.
-EDELBROCK Dual Plane Intake
-EDELBROCK 600 CFM electric choke carb
-ACCEL HEI Distributor

Currently (as of 6/23/20) The motor also has the stock corvette oil pan, it has stock heads and stock pistons.

Motor mounts of course had to be swapped and the water neck was also changed to the stock one for a pick up with a 5.7.

Flex plate was replaced with a shiny gold one that’s supposed to be a step up from stock. The last thing I wanted was to have to replace the new one anytime soon. Being under any vehicle sucks for a prolonged period of time so I figured I’d rather save myself the hassle and opt for a good one. The exact one I got is Summit Part number SUM-G100SFI

Tranny to Motor bolts, Flexplate to Torque Converter bolts and Flexplate to Motor bolts were all replaced with ARP brand fasteners as cheap insurance. People live and die by this brand so I invested in good fasteners

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swapped out the Dash, should’ve taken before pics but really there was nothing to take a picture of. The old dash was pretty much nonexistent.

It’s cracked in some places but it’ll hold. Pretty satisfied with how it looks now.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
July 20th, 2020

Starter motor finally kicked the bucket, which is convenient because I had this sitting on my shelf anyways.

Installed a Powermaster Brand mini starter and in pretty happy with it. I had to clock it and shim it but now it sits at a good angle and engages properly. It also doesn’t weigh a ton which is nice as well, the old starter always had the tendency to want to smack me right in the chest and this one was easy enough to set up.