ZQ8 sports suspension option steering box vs. Standard option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnie Smith

Reaction score
Getting ready to redo the front suspension on my 99 Suburban with all new Moog parts. Also looking to upgrade the steering. To do so I'm thinking of replacing the stock steering box with the ZQ8 sports suspension option steering box. I believe they are a direct bolt up replacement. Has any one done this and if so can offer up any opinion if it was a good upgrade or not? Thanks in advance.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think every time I see this question here the consensus is that most people think you're an idiot for putting a quick ratio box in a full size truck but really if you want a tighter steering ratio and you don't drive like a dumbass you'll be fine. Really though there isn't any point to putting an "upgraded" box in these trucks, a good OE one will be plenty tight with good front end components. Especially in a Full Size Suburban.

Donnie Smith

Reaction score
I thought the same too about the standard gearbox being adequate but since I can get the ZQ8 steering box for about half the cost of the standard OE steering box I thought I'd get some input. I did notice the improvement on my 94 truck when I swapped it out but again it might just be because it is new and the replaced one one was over 20 years old.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
General consensus here from what I've seen is on a 2WD, go for it. The quick ratio box is generally not recommended for a 4X4 due to the higher center of gravity.

Blake293209

Reaction score
I had no idea those steering boxes would work on the fullsize trucks. I've owned many many s10's (zq8 and some non zq8) and I can definitely feel the difference in the steering boxes. Cool info.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Link? These truck are way too unresponsive to be adversely affected by a quicker box. I could see a lifted truck cooking some fluid by overtaxing the pump though. Only way to know is monitor temperature.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those redheads are pricey. I thought the good GM box only came on the 454SS thus making them unobtanium now.