Zone 1.5 BL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone with a OBS used their kit for the 99' model truck on a 96-98' model? I dont see anything that would keep it from working but I'm also a newbie to all this. I see they sell the 1.5 kit for about $160 which catches my eye. I know I do not want a 3" body lift which is all they show for a 95-98' model truck.

If this will go on no problem I'll be looking to do this by the end of the year along with my TB crank, rear block & 33's.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well they also sell a 2" body lift for our trucks which isn't far from 1.5 but I've been in touch with the ZONE rep and he tells me to keep checking back every couple months, but as far as I know they do not make one for our GM400's and I have no idea about a NBS kit working on a OBS and I doubt it or else you would have seen someone do it.

There's a member here, and I forget his name, but he to0k a 3" body lift and cut the pucks in half to make it a 1.5" but then you're still gonna pay $200 + for a 3" kit. Looks like your most likely route is the 2" body lift.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, thats just it though, i dont see why it wouldnt work. I see some late 99 early 2000 models that appear to still be the OBS body style, headlights, hoods, everything. Unless I'm missing something. So I wonder, did they change the cab/frame mounts in 99'? Cause if not there is no reason I can think of it wouldnt work.

Kinda one of those questions that makes you say hmmmm...

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you gotta understand there are 99 and 00 "CLASSIC" trucks where they are that year but are the GM400 bodystyles. They do not make the ZONE 1.5 for those they mean the NBS and if noone has taken a NBS 1.5 and put it on a OBS yet, then I'd have to say it can't be done but check into it by all means and let us know! I'm also one of the fellas that REALLY wants a 1.5..A 2" is too mcuh even IMO

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, time for me to dig into the cab/bed mounts question. I need to go see if I can find and diagrams of the mount points, I'd say it would be a safe bet to assume if the kit contains at least the correct number of spacers & hardware it should work.

Sometimes I think people dont try things just b/c the product description doesnt list that year model, but knowing GM I highly doubt they changed the cab/bed mounts that much, I bet the frames & mounts are almost identical between the OBS & NBS trucks. Just revisions to what bolts to the frame, like new "body style", & powertrain.

Off to dig I go, LOL

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know they really made the NBS "bigger" all around than the OBS so I don't know but hell, I hope you do find that it can work! I feel ya on the puck thing. As long as there's the same number and the bolts are the right length then it's a good possibility.

You know what you should do is look at the difference in the BL kit for the OBS vs. the NBS...That would tell you alot right there.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so looking at a Zone 1.5" kit for a 99' model & a Performance Accessories 2" kit for a OBS it looks like its only bumper brackets, unless the pucks are physically a different size. Quanity wise the Zone kit has the same numer of pucks, each kit contains 16 large black pucks & 4 metal box pucks for the bed, along with the hardware.

Here are pics for reference. Let me know if anyone notices anything except bumper brackets that are different. That would be the biggest issue I see anyway, you'd have to make your own bumper brackets for front & rear.

Another thought I had while looking at this, I know cutting a 3" kit down would really mess with bolt length, but if you just cut a 2" down to a 1.5" you'd only have a extra 1/2" of bolt which should be all threads anyway, so would it actually work & if not why not?

Zone 1.5" kit for 99' model:
You must be registered for see images attach

PA 2" kit for OBS:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I did a little price digging on a few kits, here is the pricing if anyone cares.

Performance Accessories 2" kit w/front brackets, rear sold separate:

$197+shipping @ 4wheelparts
$227+shipping @ summit, Jegs & truck add ons
$301+shipping at Jegs & summit with the rear brackets added separately

Whats sketchy is if you just grab the full PA kit from Summit with all bracket in one kit its a whopping $420+shipping. That doesnt make any sense when you can get the kit with front brackets for $227 & add the rear brackets for $74 more bought separate.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am the one that cut down the 3" blocks.

What size bolts for the 1.5" nbs kit? If memory serves me I used 12X100 or 110mm bolts for the box and 12x160mm bolts for the cab. The bolts for the 2" obs kit will work.

No need to lengthen steering shaft and I left the rear bumper at stock height. For the front bumper I had just cut and welded the 3" bl brackets.

Last edited: