***Your HID Questions Answered Here.***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremyc

Reaction score
2 hours and 34 pages later, I now know what I want for my HID set-up. Lot's of great info here!

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Glad to see its still helpful after so long.

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More like our tricks r still kickin and teenagers or dads r buying them for their sons lol

It amazes me to think that some of these OBS trucks that I see 16 year-olds driving are now older than my '72 Duster was when I started driving it at 16 in 1992.

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone still uses this thread anymore, i'm fixin' to order some HIDs off of DDM Tuning and i don't know much about this stuff so I have a few questions. What kind of relays do I want? They have the single and dual, what are they for? And then they have error eliminators and adapter cables which I know nothing about. Also, if I run a 35w HID, what temperature do I want for a pure white light, 5000k or 6000k? Or can I really get pure white? I might just do 6000k. And one more, do I need anything else if I want to do the 4-Hi mod cuz I do plan on doing that soon too.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
If anyone still uses this thread anymore, i'm fixin' to order some HIDs off of DDM Tuning and i don't know much about this stuff so I have a few questions. What kind of relays do I want? They have the single and dual, what are they for? And then they have error eliminators and adapter cables which I know nothing about. Also, if I run a 35w HID, what temperature do I want for a pure white light, 5000k or 6000k? Or can I really get pure white? I might just do 6000k. And one more, do I need anything else if I want to do the 4-Hi mod cuz I do plan on doing that soon too.
As an ex-DDM user I would recommend you stay far away from their harnesses. They have no weather protection. All the connectors are bare and the relay plugs are not sealed in any way. I had two of their harnesses and they failed due to corrosion within a year. One of which almost caught my truck on fire. Not to mention the wire is small gauge and is no better (if not worse) than the factory wiring.

If you want, you can pm me and I can refer you to a custom harness maker that does quality work. Definitely not an option if you have a small budget. If you know how to do simple wiring work you can make your own and be better off too. I bought mine because I was in a pinch and didn't have the free time available to make my own.

As for the actual HIDs themselves I used DDM for quite awhile with decent luck. For the price you pay they aren't bad. But shipping is agonizingly slow, and any warranty stuff will be a pain due to shipping. Took me around two weeks anytime I ordered anything before I saw it on my door step. Overseas shipping is time consuming.

I've switched to opt7 for most of my lighting. I originally bought an LED bar from them and was very impressed. Shipping is spot on and quick, products seem to be higher quality than what you pay. I've never had to warranty anything from them but from what I've heard they have a great customer service team.

After the DDM harness fiasco I tossed all my DDM stuff and ordered opt7 HIDs. As expected, quality exceeded my expectations from a cost/quality standpoint. And after searching around before buying, I found similar stories across the board for them.
Also, does anyone on here sell the 4-Hi kit anymore? I found this one on eBay but wanted to make sure it was good to get http://m.ebay.com/itm/4-HIGH-BEAM-H...3D290658482907&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460
I built my own 4hi mod. It's very simple. There's a write up around here somewhere. I'm going on three or four years (maybe longer I'll have to check my build thread) and haven't had a single issue.

I will also recommend re aiming your lights after installing any drop in HID kit. The HID bulbs generate light completely differently and will tend to scatter much more in a halogen housing. Do everyone else on the road a favor by not blinding them.

Sent from a flagged XT1254
Tyler/T-Unit