Y-pipe question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willy

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1995 K1500 with the 305 tbi, and I was wondering if a vortec catalytic converter assembly would fit in place of my y-pipe? comparing the two, it seems similar enough, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first question would be... why? When the right one is availible easily..

sent from what use to be a great country...

willy

Reaction score
Well, it would be an easy way to make true dual exhaust, and I haven't seen any answers on it, maybe because it fits. I was just hoping for some confirmation, probably a dumb question, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask

willy

Reaction score
Thank you for the answers, I already have exhaust on the truck, but I was looking to redo it, because I'm not a huge fan of how the shop routed it, and was looking for a fairly inexpensive way to make it how I want. The jegs y-pipe should fit if the oem cat assembly will fit, at least in my mind, because it was meant to replace it. If I go the jegs route, I would need the intermediate pipe also, along with a way to combine it with my current exhaust, should I chose to keep it.

Again, thank you for the help, its much appreciated

98WhiteZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
one thing to keep in mind to is that the 350 exhaust has 2 O2 bungs after the cats factory so you would also need to get a plug for one of them as I believe that the 305 only had one 02 bung after the cat.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

willy

Reaction score
Wow, those prices are a lot cheaper than what I have been finding, that is probably the way im going to go. The only thing that is confusing me is that the factory intermediate pipe has a lot of different bends in it, and i dont exactly have access to a tubing bender. Would leaving it straight be ok?