XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obsomar93

Reaction score
Just got back from Pick N Pull where I pulled one out of a 94 Jeep Cherokee XJ, it was only 11 bucks total and only took about 20 mins to do. This made a great improvement in the steering on my '94 truck.

Thanks,
Hi everyone I'm new on the forum and I just need a little clarification on what exact steering shaft would fit on my truck I drive a 1993 c1500 regular cab short bed and from what I understand a 84-00 jeep cherokee Xj would be a almost direct swap to my trucks original steering shaft with the rag joint ? is that true or did I misunderstand something? any info would be greatly appreciated I have a video of my truck on youtube if you all wanna check out the truck ill drop a link just let me know have a good one guys and thank you in advance.

RokRoland

Reaction score
Well, I tried to do this upgrade with this part:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6510414
PERFECT FIT JCXJ84 Steering Column Intermediate Shaft (listed for 1992 Jeep Cherokee including others).

However myriad issues with the swap. First, I didn't find there was a plastic part inside shaft. The extension movement of the shaft is limited by metal lip, keeping the shaft from separating or compressing too far. Further, the shaft cannot be compressed enough with the lip in place.

I could have solved this with the angle grinder, but the second issue is more concerning: Top bolt to steering column appears to be in a different position than the stock part. It is not required to grind any part of the steering column side, the bolt clears this part with a millimeter or so to go. Great, no grinding? Not really so great, because the consequence is the top bolt is not locking the shaft from sliding down at all. I would be only trusting the squeeze fit to the steering column.

Considering the original solution features a bolt thru the column side, I am too concerned to install this item (experiencing a possible lack of steering input to output relationship while driving would be a major issue) unless someone can say that it's only a squeeze fit and hold on the Jeep as well.

I guess that's money wasted and a lesson learned. However there's a semi-local guy who manufactures ragjoint eliminators for 3rd gen F-bodies for pretty cheap. Thinking of picking one up and seeing if it fits the pickup too.

Casey1104

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking About doing this to my 89 Chevy 1500 heavy half do you think the junkyard would have this shaft?

RokRoland

Reaction score
Will I still be able to bring it to the alignment shop and get the alignment done?

I don't understand the question. You are replacing steering shaft. This is the part between steering box and steering column.

All adjustable parts regarding alignment are after the steering box. The only adjustable part upstream, so to say, is the steering wheel, and you are not affecting the column itself, so steering wheel orientation can still be changed if required.

In short, the answer would be yes, provided that I understood your question correctly.

Casey1104

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand the question. You are replacing steering shaft. This is the part between steering box and steering column.

All adjustable parts regarding alignment are after the steering box. The only adjustable part upstream, so to say, is the steering wheel, and you are not affecting the column itself, so steering wheel orientation can still be changed if required.

In short, the answer would be yes, provided that I understood your question correctly.
Yeah sorry i worded it wrong my local junk yard didn't have the shaft how much did they charge you for yours?

RokRoland

Reaction score
Well, I tried to do this upgrade with this part:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6510414
PERFECT FIT JCXJ84 Steering Column Intermediate Shaft (listed for 1992 Jeep Cherokee including others).

However myriad issues with the swap. First, I didn't find there was a plastic part inside shaft. The extension movement of the shaft is limited by metal lip, keeping the shaft from separating or compressing too far. Further, the shaft cannot be compressed enough with the lip in place.

I could have solved this with the angle grinder, but the second issue is more concerning: Top bolt to steering column appears to be in a different position than the stock part.

I solved this issue with the angle grinder in the end. Several inches of shaft had to be cut in order to reach needed length when compressed, there seems to be a stopper inside the upper tube. There indeed was a metal clip lined with plastic on top of the inner shaft to keep the two parts from separating. Issue with upper bolt still remains, I am considering drilling a hole and putting another bolt thru the middle part to keep the shaft from sliding out of the column end, even though the shaft is in there way tight.

Some initial steering slop was removed as well as the unpredictable gradual turn in with the rag joint compression. However now I need a new steering box to get rid of the rest. Also, the steering wheel is tilted some 30 degrees so there is a need for a steering wheel puller loan. I wonder if the shaft I got was really for the XJ or not.