XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headed to the junky today to get an XJ shaft for my 94 C1500, and some other assorted parts i need.

I would like to make a recommendation however. Do NOT weld the shaft pieces or bolt them together making it one solid shaft. The reason its a shaft in a shaft making it collapsable is for collision purposes. If you weld it or bolt it solid, in the event of a bad collision with the frame being bent back, your welded solid shaft will likely shove the steering column back and it will rip loose from the dash and hit you in the chest.

Also the cab moves slightly independent of the frame, even more on trucks doing lots of heavy offroad, the shaft in shaft arrangement will allow movement at the steering connection between the cab and chassis. This is probably why a rag joint was used for that small differential movement between cab and chassis. A double U joint setup though far superior allows no relative movement, as such the shaft itself needs to be able to slightly expand and compress.

I plan on drilling my xj shaft and adding a grease fitting where the collapsable center is, and a rubber boot to keep dirt and dust out.

I hope this helps

Thanks guys GMT400.com is the best.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got my booty from junkyard trip. $20 for everything. Got my seat riser for bucket seats conversion, jeep xj shaft, and underhood storage box. I'd post pix but it keeps saying security error.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to test, I tried to post an older pic on this thread that i was able to post here before, thinking maybe the file on my new pix are too big. No bueno. Old pics wouldent work either. Now i know its not just me having a problem. The "Fried Bandit" is having issues too, i suspect many others are as well.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you guys copying the img link from a site like photobucket? Or using the link image option that while you're posting is up top?

You should be copying from photobucket. It's the best way for any forum

Sent from my 5.7L powered iPhone using Tapatalk

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, i am copying straight off my pix i took on my phone. I posted pix off my phone here before never had a problem posting pix off my phone until this past saturday.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok it took the pix straight from my phone this time. Heres $20 worth of parts. A very good haul for an hours worth of work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Btw i love oddball stuff so heres an interesting rig. Its a 1977 3/4 ton dodge tradesman 4x4 van. Called a "Van Charger", this was a conversion done by pathfinder 4WD conversions in california. These were done when the vehicle was new before delivery to the dealer. These were so well done by pathfinder that the trucks maintained their factory warranties when converted prior to initial purchase They had to be ordered as a 3/4 ton or 1 ton 200 or 300 series van, with automatic, power steering and power brakes, in order to be converted. Full floater Dana 60 rear, coil sprung Dana 44 front, NP 230 transfer case. Very rare indeed probably pricey when new too. The welding and fab of the brackets on the frame for the front axle look to be top notch. Shame its in the junky missing wheels, and transfer case. I'd show a pic of the front end with axle attached but that pic for some reason wont upload