WVXC450R's Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for awhile and have been asking some questions and what not, trying to learn some tips and tricks to the gmt400's. I'm a Ford man at heart and am coming from a Ford so it's a little bit different. A little back ground information on me and my truck: I'm 19 and from Charleston, WV. I found my current truck online at a dealership in Kentucky. We drove up and checked it out and I drove back with my new truck. I paid entirely too much for it and if I could do it again I wouldn't but I already have and have a small truck payment for a little while until I can get my old truck sold so I'm going to make the best out of it and hopefully help build up some credit!

Anyways, on to my truck! It's a 1997 GMC Sierra SLE, 4l60e, 5.7 vortec, 4x4 with 127K on it at the moment. It has a true dual exhaust, a body lift, aftermarket wheels, and HAD a rebuilt transmission. It's a good truck. Alot more power than my Ford and rides a million times better! I'm a little disappointed and a little discouraged at the moment with it but give it time and I'm sure I will love it! Like I said I bought it from Fanin Family Ford in Kentucky. They said the previous owner had the transmission rebuilt. Well at the moment it is sitting in my driveway in need of a transmission... Atleast I got to make my first payment on it I guess.. But as of right now Im still working on figuring out what exactly is wrong with it and if I actually need a new transmission or not. If so, I will be ordering a rebuilt transmission from 1st Transmission in Midland, MI. So thats where the truck is as of right now...

Plans for the truck are as follows unless I decide to trade it off on a 7.3 Powerstroke :)

Blacked Out Theme
Halo projector headlights with smoked others
Smoked LED Tails
Shorty Headers
Tune
6" Suspension Lift
Roll Pan OR Homemade rear bumper
Tinted Windows
Billet Grille OR Chrome Chevy Grille
Probably redo the exhaust with something louder (flowmaster super 10's) and exiting at 45* angles
Tool Box with Dual 4' black antennas for CB
Head Unit and a very small and cheap system (already have 12's and amp, just need to make a box for under the rear seat)
Spray on bedliner along the bottoms where the gold currently (after I replace cab corner on Pass side)
Spray on Bedliner on the diamond plate bed rails
Plasti-Dip/Powdercoat Wheels Black

Current Mods
Camo Interrior

Current Maintanence
New starter and Solenoid

Parts I have for the Truck waiting to go In
250watt amp (waiting on plans to make box for under back seat)
2 12" subs (Waiting on plans to make box for under back seat)
Cobra CB (Waiting on Tool Box to mount antennas too)

To Do:
Fix tailgate handle
Transmission

**** Comments/Concerns/Advice/Hate/Criticism/Etc are all welcome and expected! Thats why I wanted a build thread where you guys can post!****

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck after I brought it home:
You must be registered for see images

Here it is next to my old truck:

And then my first project came along: my interior. The interior to me is the most important part of the truck because that is where I am at all times! Therefor it has to be nice! I already had some real tree floor mats, and my girlfriend got me some seat covers for Christmas so I did the rest myself!

Popped the upper portion out and recovered it with some fabric I bought off of eBay!

Smack these little white things in the middle with a chisel or screwdriver and they pop right out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Driver side done!

You must be registered for see images attach

Got the rest done today! 1/17/13

Also did the over head console!

Need to order some more fabric to do my sun visors and get the back seat cover!

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I appreciate it! Unfortunately it will probably be a slow one. Part time work, college, and a trx450r keep me pretty busy and tight on cash! Waiting to see what I do with my transmission! I have a long list of little stuff that im hoping to get done in the mean time! If the weather would get a little nicer I would be plasti-dipping the hell out of it lol

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Just a little update, ordered my transmission yesterday, should be here by Thursday. Having the truck towed to the shop Friday. Going to have to get a new battery possibly. Also we're thinking maybe a new flywheel! We were trying to et it started yesterday after I put a new starter on. It turned over a few times while dragging like crazy an BANG! So were going to have them check the flywheel and shim my starter. After that I just need to get my exhaust leak fixed and get it inspected!

After that's all awaited away and the trucks reliable ill look Ito getting some goodies for it!

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very classy interior! I like it! Plus now I know how to remove the fabric portions so I can clean them up.
You remind me of a buddy of mine. Raised a Ford boy, went through three fords (taurus, '92 F-150, '95 Ranger) and after he totaled the ranger, he had to get a truck right away so he could get to work. He settled for a '97 Chevy K1500 and ever since he's fallen victim to what I call "New Chevy Syndrome". He's been quoted to say "oh yeah, my truck has more balls cause I have a lift!" (two inch body). or "350 power!" and most recently, "I can spin these tires on dry asphalt all day!". He needs to talk to a humble brand swapper such as yourself. ;)

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I try to be as reasonable as I can! I have always been a ford man and have never had any luck with any kind of GM product. My best buddy is a die hard Chevy man. He talked me into a truck like this. I like fords better mainly because of the interior. When I grab ahold of something in my Sierra it feels like its going to break off in my hands, my ford was far from that. My ford was also a 302 and was a complete dog with 31's and 3.55's. my Sierra has basically 33's with 3.73's or whatever it is and has plenty if power and gets 1mpg than my ford. Time will tell. Ill be keeping this one for awhile and make it my own for now. I would kill for a mild 5.7 vortec in my old ford!