WTF!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swear I read somewhere in my muffler research, that Thrush mufflers could be ran backwards. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It depends on what Thrush muffler it is, the welded chamber muffler that's like a Flowmaster can not be ran backwards. I think the rest can.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Usually chambered mufflers cannot be ran backwards, the turbo muffler can & cannot........it depends on how the performated tubing is made. If they're just regular holes, they are universal in their mounting direction, but if they're the type where the edge of hole is bent outwards(it looks kinda like they're aiming the hole towards one end of the muffler), the muffler must be mounted so the holes "aim" at the exit. I've yet to notice a huge difference in 2-way vs directional turbo mufflers as far as sound, I'm not 100% sure of how "aiming" the holes makes for a big difference except it maybe keeps air from entering into the fiber areas and burning the fibers.

If you ever come across a chambered muffler that's NOT marked or too dirty to see, easy way to tell direction is to shine a light inside....look at the first chamber wall, see the hole in it and notice how the metal around hole either curls inwards toward center of muffler or outwards toward end of muffler. The direction it curls points to the direction the air is supposed to move.

I have Thrush Welded(chamber muffler) 17637, page 6 on here: http://www.thrushexhaust.com/pdf/thrush.pdf
It really makes a BIG difference, had "true dual" straights previous.

Last edited:

White98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My concern is that one of the pipes has a weird, chirping type sound coming from it, while the other one is fine. Also, one has more pressure coming from it than the other. I'm lost....and frustrated!

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make them redo it. I wouldn't have taken truck till I was happy with the job!

X2 no way i would accepted it any less than what u want...who cares if they get mad they should have went over everything how u wanted it to look before u even left the shop, not just throw sumthin together thinkin u "might" like it...

White98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
X2 no way i would accepted it any less than what u want...who cares if they get mad they should have went over everything how u wanted it to look before u even left the shop, not just throw sumthin together thinkin u "might" like it...
Now I know why he wanted me to leave it with him for the day! What a poor excuse for a dual exhaust job he did on my truck. I've seen some work he did in the past, and it looked good, but I think someone else in the shop may have done my truck. I'll never know the truth. I'm not done with them though. Getting in touch with main office to try and recoup some of my well earned money spent on a **** job!!