Writeup: Installing 5.7 TBI headers on 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just found these OBX-Long-Tube-Headers on ebay. Anybody ever tried em?

I've heard good things about these on other vehicles. I havent seen anyone using them on these trucks but on 73-87's and 4th gen F-bodys. Everything I have heard has been good and they are definately a steal for stainless. I might have to rethink my exhaust plan now....

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Are there any options for longtube headers with both 02 sensors in the collectors that are already ceramic or stainless? This sounds like an awesome mod but it seems ****** we'd have to weld the 02 sensor in and then have them re-coated.. oh and any pics of how bad they actually look now?

I think the options are kind of limited because Vortecs have that external EGR tube, which takes a little bit of ingenuity to incorporate into a longtube header. You guys seem to have found a couple good options, though.

Here is what the relocated 02 sensor looks like. Not too bad imo, but I am set on getting them ceramic coated.
You must be registered for see images attach

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the options are kind of limited because Vortecs have that external EGR tube, which takes a little bit of ingenuity to incorporate into a longtube header. You guys seem to have found a couple good options, though.
Not trying to steal your thunder though man! You did great figuring out how to make it work with TBI headers and have successfully shown that they will work. Great job on that and a perfect write up!

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I do mine I'm just gonna buy the cheapo black LT's & do the bung relocation. Its cheaper than the prices on those other sets & I'll be eliminating all emissions crap anyhow. For what its worth I have ceramic coated Pacesetter LT's on my Trans Am & the collector areas are rusted to hell. That ceramic coating holds up ok but if its driven year round in all elements, exposed to salt/sand in the winter or mud they will rust. Now maybe if you dump a few extra hundred for a top of the line ceramic coating they might hold up better, but off the shelf from Pacesetter isnt much better than the painted ones at the end of the day. They will look good from the top, till you crawl under it after about a year of use.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Not trying to steal your thunder though man! You did great figuring out how to make it work with TBI headers and have successfully shown that they will work. Great job on that and a perfect write up!

Thanks man, I totally understand taking out the emissions stuff isn't for everyone. I started with basic knowledge and people on this site helped me figure out everything I needed to do to make these work. All I did was compile my experiences in this thread. I'm glad it was helpful, man. Let us know how your build goes!

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man, I totally understand taking out the emissions stuff isn't for everyone. I started with basic knowledge and people on this site helped me figure out everything I needed to do to make these work. All I did was compile my experiences in this thread. I'm glad it was helpful, man. Let us know how your build goes!
I have no preference with emissions honestly, how much of a gain is it to just be able to remove those? I know it'll at least stop blocking up my intake with carbon!

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I have no preference with emissions honestly, how much of a gain is it to just be able to remove those? I know it'll at least stop blocking up my intake with carbon!

Removing the emissions equipment won't increase power necessarily. There is a member on this site named Chris, and IIRC he said that removing the EGR can cost you a small amount of mileage if you drive on the interstate for long periods of time. (By small, he meant ~20 miles per tank.) If your EGR valve is stuck open or something it can help, otherwise you will not notice a difference from deleting it. But yes, you are right about the intake. Removing the EGR will clean up that part of your engine, and potentially make the engine last longer. For me it was well worth it, and helped make the engine bay cleaner.

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
Removing the emissions equipment won't increase power necessarily. There is a member on this site named Chris, and IIRC he said that removing the EGR can cost you a small amount of mileage if you drive on the interstate for long periods of time. (By small, he meant ~20 miles per tank.) If your EGR valve is stuck open or something it can help, otherwise you will not notice a difference from deleting it. But yes, you are right about the intake. Removing the EGR will clean up that part of your engine, and potentially make the engine last longer. For me it was well worth it, and helped make the engine bay cleaner.

Do you have a write-up for removing EGR?

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Do you have a write-up for removing EGR?

I do not. It is pretty straight forward though.

You will need 3 things:
*EGR block off plug
- Here is what I used: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12556596/

*Some tune to get rid of the rear set of 02 sensors (post cat) AIR sensor, and EGR tube.

* And either a set of headers that does not have the EGR port or a block off plate such as this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-S-10-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6d60c5a9.

I just cut my EGR at the intake side when I removed it. Then all you have to do is bolt up your block offs.

Does that make sense or am I rambling? lol

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Instead of welding O2 Bungs in the collectors, couldn't you just weld the bungs in the exhaust pipe say at the reducers that bolt on to the header?