WRITEUP: GM Remote MOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, I need to get a sig made & list my mods. Its a 97' Z71 power windows/locks/mirrors ECSB with 3rd door.

Guess if I'm plannin on a alarm with remote start I might as well wait & just use that remote though I guess. But no telling how long I'll be waiting to get that done, LOL.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm the same as Jolly Green. Noticed my remote just wasn't really working. Sometimes I'll have to stand there like an idiot and walk around the truck pressing the button a million times before it will unlock...I have an Autopage alarm system that's been on the truck a loooong time. It's amazing what all I've put this remote through and it still works. I replaced the battery and it didn't increase in strength. Then a couple days ago I noticed it wasn't wanting to work at all....Then randomly today it started working normal again???? I think something must be going on with the little board inside with the connection but I have no idea with that type stuff. This mod looks awesome. Welcome to the site by the way but sounds like I need to go ahead and figure this remote problem out first.

hilarious!! ive done the same lol

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
why did you solder wire to the battery contact area???, that spot pictured on the pcb is the contact spot for the battery tang to make contact from the other half of the case

Pronk

Reaction score
What is the code for having a stock remote system? When I bought the truck it did not come with a key fob so I'm curious if it had one from the factory. Thanks

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
why did you solder wire to the battery contact area???, that spot pictured on the pcb is the contact spot for the battery tang to make contact from the other half of the case

See thats what I wanted to know I found all my remote entry under my dash on the lower steering column. found my antenna and extended it to the top of the a pillar :D

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
See thats what I wanted to know I found all my remote entry under my dash on the lower steering column. found my antenna and extended it to the top of the a pillar :D

Yup, there's the problem with the range; the receiver is stuck down inside a big steel box. Steel is very effective at blocking RF.

To add insult to injury, they mount it to the support for the column which further shrouds the box.

Standing by the truck, I can 't get it to work until I'm next to it. Works a little better if I walk around with my arm in the air like an idiot. However, I can use it 15-20 feet away if I'm in the house on the second floor and the truck is in the driveway.

Get thee antenna above the door/dash lines....at least that's what I was intending to do. CC seems to have beaten me to it. Curious to see his response to the question if there gain in range by extending the antenna...

Further thought into it; i may remove the box from the column mount and move it up into the dash plastic where it sits above the door and windshield base. That is probably the best you can do for it without increasing the fobs output (not easily done)....

Last edited:

igarut5410

Reaction score
does anyone know where the internal antenna is on the old top hat style remotes?

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know this is an older thread but me and my family having doing a trick for years to get the remotes to work properly. and that is holding the remote directly under your chin while pressing the button. i can stand 20 to 40 feel away from my tahoe pointing the remote at the truck and nothing but when i put it right under my chin it reaches out and unlocks. We have done this on everything from a 96 to a 11. and its done great. just thought i would ad this little bit of info.

and another thing if your remote is giving you issues it could just be wore out or broke. my sisters monte carlo remote did this cause the battery was going dead and she pressed the button really hard instead of replacing the batter and ended up spending 45 bucks for a new one.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
i know this is an older thread but me and my family having doing a trick for years to get the remotes to work properly. and that is holding the remote directly under your chin while pressing the button. i can stand 20 to 40 feel away from my tahoe pointing the remote at the truck and nothing but when i put it right under my chin it reaches out and unlocks. We have done this on everything from a 96 to a 11. and its done great. just thought i would ad this little bit of info.

You must be registered for see images