Write up for heim joint steering setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shakejort

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m prepping to make a custom 7/8 heim joint steering setup and was wondering if anyone is interested in a how-to write up for doing it themselves. It’s pretty basic, just get some tube cut, tap the ends for the heims, then install the adapters, but I searched parts for the best price and quality and could include parts numbers and pictures for anyone interested.

The mod would largely eliminate steering slack, especially when doing the jeep steering shaft mod as well. Most notably, your wheels won’t go out of alignment every time you hit a pothole or thrash the truck off-road. Can be done for less than $200.

Let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does Heim steering require any mods to the center link or the knuckles?

$200 is in the price range of replacing all 4 TRE’s with quality parts. A parts list would be awesome along with tube length and thread pitch.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would really like that. I can’t do a Jeep shaft because I have a 1999.

shakejort

Reaction score
Does Heim steering require any mods to the center link or the knuckles?

$200 is in the price range of replacing all 4 TRE’s with quality parts. A parts list would be awesome along with tube length and thread pitch.

Its just a heavy duty replacement for the outer and inner tie rods and the flimsy connecting sleeve. Tube lengths and links to the heims and corresponding tap sizes will all be included. The cost for tools, the taps and handle, will cost an extra $100 for those of us who don’t already have a full shop setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I understand it, Heim joints look all **** and hot-roddy, but they have a short service life. Cheap joints pound-out quickly, or get eroded from grit and dirt. Expensive joints last longer, but cost a lot more. The Heim joints/rod ends are intended to be used in a double-shear configuration, but most folks using them for tie rod ends install them in single-shear. OEM tie rod ends are designed from the start to be a single-shear application.

"I" would verify that the OEM-style tie rod ends were in good condition, properly lubed, and with good dust seals/boots over the actual joint. There's no play or looseness in the OEM joints until they've worn out. The OEM joints do tend to have higher friction than Heim joints/rod ends, but who cares if the truck has power steering anyway. I'd spend time, money, effort, and enthusiasm somewhere else.

Last edited: