wiring help on swap please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hev24

Reaction score
Hey fellas I need some help on this I got my harness done by a local guy and I have no clue where they go I tried googling and I can't get no where. The guy who made my harness is out on vacation and can't get any help from him
I have a few wires I need to connect wich is
Vehicle speed
Tcc
Starter wire to key
Fuel pump12volt lead
Constant 12 volt battery
Key on 12volt
And I'm sure the rest of the wiring I'll have to remove what I don't need

You must be registered for see images attach

super10brss

Reaction score
Limited knowledge here disclaimer (but I have done lots of research): Vehicle speed goes to a wire behind your factory instrument cluster (can't remember where, but there is a great write up on this somewhere. What you truck you doing this on? 89-94 or 95-99?)
TCC- (robbed from another site) If you are using the standard 4L60e tranny harness, then u only need one wire to tell the PCM when u are stepping on the brake.. blue connector, pin 33.

a normal 5 pin relay has 2 outputs.. 85/86 switch the relay on. 30 gets switched to 87 or 87a.

87a is connected to 30 normally (Normally Connected, aka NC)
87 is connected to 30 ONLY when 85/86 are energized.. (Normally Open, aka NO)

the key thing is 87a becomes UNCONNECTED when 85/86 are energized..
so 87a and 87 toggle.

SO, you connect 87a to pin 33 of the PCM. so power is supplied ALL THE TIME, EXCEPT when the brake is applied (85/86 are energized), then it is disconnected.

the rest is up to the PCM..

"Starter wire to key" wire is the small wire from your old starter (why would you need that?)
"fuel pump wire" wouldn't your existing body control wiring run your fuel pump. I think that is one extra wire you don't need.
"Constant 12v" lots of guys build a power block that is fused on the fender for this
"key on 12 v" just multi meter the wires coming out the truck firewall until you find one? right?

Hev24

Reaction score
Limited knowledge here disclaimer (but I have done lots of research): Vehicle speed goes to a wire behind your factory instrument cluster (can't remember where, but there is a great write up on this somewhere. What you truck you doing this on? 89-94 or 95-99?)
TCC- (robbed from another site) If you are using the standard 4L60e tranny harness, then u only need one wire to tell the PCM when u are stepping on the brake.. blue connector, pin 33.

a normal 5 pin relay has 2 outputs.. 85/86 switch the relay on. 30 gets switched to 87 or 87a.

so 87a and 87 toggle.

SO, you connect 87a to pin 33 of the PCM. so power is supplied ALL THE TIME, EXCEPT when the brake is applied (85/86 are energized), then it is disconnected.

"Starter wire to key" wire is the small wire from your old starter (why would you need that?)
"fuel pump wire" wouldn't your existing body control wiring run your fuel pump. I think that is one extra wire you don't need.
"Constant 12v" lots of guys build a power block that is fused on the fender for this
"key on 12 v" just multi meter the wires coming out the truck firewall until you find one? right?
Thank you this is the info i need

Hev24

Reaction score

so 87a and 87 toggle.

Muy truck is a 97

95SUBURBANLM7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

so 87a and 87 toggle.

After looking around, I think its pretty safe to say that I should "T" the GMT800 VSS wires (Red 20&21?) into the GMT400's VSS wires. Is that correct? Is there a better way of doing this?

There is also the GMT800's Red 50, that is the tach output, correct? Where should I connect it in the GMT400's harness?

I was looking for the TCC info as well, thanks. That relay, that can be put in the underhood fuse box, correct? What did you mean here:

"30 gets switched to 87 or 87a" 30?

Thanks again for the info.